Reptile Forums banner

HELP! milksnake regurgitated

3K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  wohic 
#1 ·
My baby has just thrown up :sad: poor thing was fed two fuzzies last wednesday and although I've cleared the entire viv I have only found the remnants of one mouse. I haven't changed the temps etc (I've just doubled checked and they are correct) and I observed my usual no handling for 72 hours after a feed rule. I just can't figure out what caused this as everything as been buisness as usual and snakey has appeared happy and active. Only thing I can think of is my snake was exposed (completly unexpectedly) to cigarette smoke. Could this be the cause??
Also what do I do now? As previously mentioned I've triplechecked the entire setup and all is well and I am currently sterilising everything (the viv, viv furniture, waterbowl etc) Do I offer food as usual on Wednesday or not? Is there anything I can do to help settle my snakes stomach I seem to remeber reading something about putting grapefruit juice in there water but I'm not sure

Please help!

#2 ·
Perhaps he is comming up for a shed, this can sometimes cause a regurge, as can a dodgy mouse.
Leave him for 10 days and just offer water (you can add some avipro which will help boost the good bacteria in the snakes gut) then try feeding again.
the main cause of regurge is temprature problems so make sure what you are checking the temps with is reliable.
Try not to worry i am sure it will just be a little blip and the baby will be as right as rain !

#3 ·
oops! I must've forgotten to mention that he was blue a couple of days ago in my last post :bash:

I'm checking the temps against a very reliable book and I have previously cross referenced the stated temps with people on this forum so I know thats not the problem.

As hes never done this before (even when coming up to shed) its shocked me. As he is approaching a shed is this the most likely the cause ?

#8 ·
well try to feed him one on wednesday instead of 2. Because if he has regurg 1 on each wednesday, he will do it again. Try to change the days you feed him because otherwise he will start to look forward to wednesday's as snakes are quite intelligent.(this is what i was told) Try one fuzzy on wednesday and one a few days later. If he still regurg's the second one, feed him one a week until he has finished shedding his skin.

#9 ·
Thanks I just wasnt sure whether to attempt a smaller feed this week or wait until ten days were up and go back to the usual routine: victory:

By the way Legs is quite happy with his weekly Wednesday feeding routine and up until now I have never had any problems with him feeding/regurging (I've had him for at least 18 months now) plus he is a very active snake so its not like hes lazy and only emerges when he knows hes going to be fed lol so I'm not gunna change it. I not knocking varying the feeding day I'm just saying that I'm not about to alter a very successful routine that suits both the snake and myself because of a small blip. Anyways rant over.

Thanks for the advice x

#10 ·
please dont feed him wednsday, regurging knocks out all the gut flora which aids digestion, this needs time to rebuild, if you feed him too soon it is likely he will regurge again, when you do offer him a feed make it a small one (pink) to 'kick start' his tummy again, then the next feed (as long as all goes well) 1 fuz and on the third feed , back to normal .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.