Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I have 3 Stenos and I saw them all a couple of hours ago and they were as normal, I've just seen them again and one of them is missing his/her tail! :shock:
I can't see the tail anywhere so any ideas on what could have happened and if this is normal? I've never heard of this happening before. What do I do?

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
something must have scared it or maybe one of the others attacked it. They usually drop their tail for defence to distract the preditor making the preditor attack the fallen tail giving the gecko time to escape. not sure if they eat each others tails though so it may still be about somewhere.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks
Will it grow back? Is it likely to affect him? Will he die from it?
I'm scared!

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
It should grow back but the area will be very sore and it won't grow back as well as what it was... You'll need to feed it up a bit to help the growth.

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
It will grow back but sadly he may be deformed for the rest of his life, but should be perfectly healthy other than that.

Basically tail wont grow back as perfect as it was thats all. :wink:

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
No dont worry that he will die because he wont. Its quite a common thing tohappen specially in the wild. If it didnt happen lots of little geckos would be eaten so being able to drop their tails at will is a good thing. It will grow back eventually , it just wont look the same as a original tail. It might look a little fatter/rounder but your lizard will stay pretty healthy with normal care and try to watch for and substrate annoying it, it might be best to keep it on paper for now until the break as healed over :D

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone, now i'm over the shock I feel a lot better knowing that its common!
Unfortunately I only have one viv for them all which is large and full of sand, caves, rocks etc so if I changed it to paper would the change stress out the other two?

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
jj22 said:
Thanks everyone, now i'm over the shock I feel a lot better knowing that its common!
Unfortunately I only have one viv for them all which is large and full of sand, caves, rocks etc so if I changed it to paper would the change stress out the other two?
Naa in all honesty they won't even care! :lol: I think the main thing now is giving him plenty of food to grow it back.. Waxies and Pinkies are very fatty and should help....

Have you found the tail? I find it very strange other geckos would eat the tail :?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I havn't found the tail yet, it might be in one of the caves.
Ive found an old small fish tank which I could convert to a temporary paper viv so I don't have to clear the big viv.
I've heard of waxworms which my local petshop doesn't do but what are pinkies? at the moment they have mealworms and crickets but they don't tend to like the mealworms

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
they do eat the tails sometimes..looks like a big juicy worm so why wouldn't they!? :D

although in some cases the lizard that lost the tail has been known to go and eat it themselves...think it's their way of getting something back..

as it is it will stop growing for a bit whilst it's tail re-growx...

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Well I'm quite surprised by that because looking a a size of a tail to the size of the gecko Im surprised they can get it all in!!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a clear plastic box with vents which I got with the geckos, i'm going to set tha up inside the viv so he has the same temp. Should I use newspaper or kitchen towel?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good, I've put some hides in it and some water. Managed to get some waxworms today and dusted them with Reptolife but none of them are interested in them, I think they might be too big!

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
jj22 said:
I have to disagree with the others. My little male sand gecko in particular became very stressed out when he had to spend a few days on kitchen towel because he had no sand to dig around in. You're idea of putting a tub in to seperate the one that has lost its tail is a good idea though :D One of my females lost her tail with her previous owner but it is growing back nicely, though it does take its time. It hasn't affected her :D

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, to be honest now i'm over the shock i'm getting used to seeing him with no tail, I've put him in the tub in the viv with kitchen towel already and he's just hidden under some bark so i'll see if he seems stressed out tonight when they all get active and if so i'll have to think of something else.
None of them have touched the waxworms yet!

·
Registered
959 Posts
jj22 said:
I havn't found the tail yet, it might be in one of the caves.
Ive found an old small fish tank which I could convert to a temporary paper viv so I don't have to clear the big viv.
I've heard of waxworms which my local petshop doesn't do but what are pinkies? at the moment they have mealworms and crickets but they don't tend to like the mealworms
Pinkies are baby mice. Your steno defintely wouldn't be able to eat one (the are just about the same size) so I'd forget about them :wink:

I also agree that taking the other two out of the viv might stress them, so I'm glad you managed to seperate just the injured one. Sounds like you are doing fine.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Big waxworms do put them off, my large female steno won't takle any that are around the average size for a waxie, hence I always ask for my supplier to send me waxies that are as small as possible (I use livefoods.co.uk). Normally I then get waxies small enough that even my mourning geckos (which are smaller than the sand geckos) can tackle :D Next time you order some from your supplier just ask for them to send very small waxies :D

Hope you're little one recovers soon!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am now CERTAIN that the one who lost its tail (Digger) is a girl. Theres an egg!
As its on kitchen towel what should I do with it?

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
well if you want to hatch it you'll need to incubate it.... I have no idea at what temperatures though for this species, google around for info'

I'm also not sure how many eggs you should expect so it could lay more and if it doesn't it may become egg bound which isn't good!

I know I'm raising more Qs than I know of here but someone should suggest something soon.....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts