Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cry: ,HI,I HAVE A CHINESE WATER DRAGON WHOS IS ABOUT YEAR AND HALF OLD,HE WAS IN PERFECT HEALTH AND A GOOD SIZE ,MALE,I CLEANED HIM OUT A WEEK AGO AND NOW NOTICEING HE ISN`T HIMSELF,HE SEEMS TO SPEND ALOT OF TIME IN WATER WHICH HE ONLY USED TO GO IN THERE FOR POOS,NOT EATING LIKE HE NORMALLY DO,TODAY I WAS WATCHING HIM IN HIS WATER AND HE SWITCHED AND HIS HEAD FELL IN WATER,I QUICKLEY PICKED HIM UP AND IT WAS AS THOUGH HE WAS DEAD!!LIMP,AND LOOKED LIFELESS!!AFTER 5 MINS OF STROKING HIM HE STARTED MOVING AGAIN!!ANYONE KNOWS WHY PLEASE TELL ME,I HAD BEEN USEING BARK IN HIS VIV,AND RECENTLEY CHANGED TO BIRCH CHIPPING.DON`T KNOW IF THAT MAKES A DIFFERENCE,HE IS STILL ALIVE BUT NOT HIMSELF..PLEASE ANYONE WHO KNOWS PERHAPS WHY LET ME KNOW..HIS BREATHING ALSO KEEPS STOPPING THEN STARTS AGAIN!!AM VERY WORRIED INCASE I LOSE HIM..WE HAVE HAD HIM FOR OVER 1 YEAR,GOT HIM AT 6 MONTHS OLD,NEVER HAD PROBLEM WITH HIM,UNTIL NOW!HAD PEOPLE LOOK AT HIM AND SAY HOW BIG AND HEALTHY HE LOOKS,SO CAN`T UNDERSTAND THIS...

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
TAKE HIM TO THE VET!!
if he is that bad there will be nothing you can do and only a vet will be able to help...

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
BELIAL said:
TAKE HIM TO THE VET!!
if he is that bad there will be nothing you can do and only a vet will be able to help...
Echo that comment...

No one hear is going to be able to do anything for him if he is that bad...

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
my waterdragon did that but i wont tell u what happened to him, i didnt get him to the vet quick enough, was my first rep and my boyfriend got it me from a pet shop, they gave him wrong advice and it affected my little friend pretty badly unfortunately. Hope the same hasnt happened to you.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
yeah take him the vets.
wd can actually stay under water for up to half an hour and they often do when they're about to shed. also at this time of year they sometimes stop eating. if i was you i'd change the substrate to eco earth as well.
let us know how he gets on and good luck

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Yeh i dont know about birch chipping?
id get rid of that if in doubt.
also with water dragons [and most reps actually] if they spend any real time in the water you need to treat the water to get rid of the chlorine and stuff thats in it... similar to what you do with tropical fish... I have a bottle of stuff that u put one drop in per 500ml of water and that takes out all the potentailly nasty stuff thast in our tap water.

Anyway, for now a reptile vet is your best chance and from there adress any further issues.

Could just be the stress of the clean out.
Have also heard of water dragons ZONING OUT in the water, not sure of more details to be honest.

Goooood luck.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
water doesnt naturally have chlorine in it. you can get your water tested at most aquatic fish stores. you'd be surprised how bad some water is.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
no it doesnt naturally.... we put it in at the water treatment plants...
its not good for herps.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
i use tap safe stuff in my water.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:cry: ,HI,I HAVE A CHINESE WATER DRAGON WHOS IS ABOUT YEAR AND HALF OLD,HE WAS IN PERFECT HEALTH AND A GOOD SIZE ,MALE,I CLEANED HIM OUT A WEEK AGO AND NOW NOTICEING HE ISN`T HIMSELF,HE SEEMS TO SPEND ALOT OF TIME IN WATER WHICH HE ONLY USED TO GO IN THERE FOR POOS,NOT EATING LIKE HE NORMALLY DO,TODAY I WAS WATCHING HIM IN HIS WATER AND HE SWITCHED AND HIS HEAD FELL IN WATER,I QUICKLEY PICKED HIM UP AND IT WAS AS THOUGH HE WAS DEAD!!LIMP,AND LOOKED LIFELESS!!AFTER 5 MINS OF STROKING HIM HE STARTED MOVING AGAIN!!ANYONE KNOWS WHY PLEASE TELL ME,I HAD BEEN USEING BARK IN HIS VIV,AND RECENTLEY CHANGED TO BIRCH CHIPPING.DON`T KNOW IF THAT MAKES A DIFFERENCE,HE IS STILL ALIVE BUT NOT HIMSELF..PLEASE ANYONE WHO KNOWS PERHAPS WHY LET ME KNOW..HIS BREATHING ALSO KEEPS STOPPING THEN STARTS AGAIN!!AM VERY WORRIED INCASE I LOSE HIM..WE HAVE HAD HIM FOR OVER 1 YEAR,GOT HIM AT 6 MONTHS OLD,NEVER HAD PROBLEM WITH HIM,UNTIL NOW!HAD PEOPLE LOOK AT HIM AND SAY HOW BIG AND HEALTHY HE LOOKS,SO CAN`T UNDERSTAND THIS...
HI ..WELL WE FIGURED IT WAS THE BIRCH CHIPPING,HE SWALLOWED A BIT...WILL NOT BE USEING THAT AGAIN,HE PASSED IT THOUGH THE OTHER END SO THATS HOW WE NEW.FROM WHEN I WROTE THIS LAST HE HASN`T EATEN ANYTHING SO HAVE BEEN SYRINGE FEEDING HIM WITH CRITICAL CARE..AND ONLY YESTERDAY(29.01.07)HE ACTUALLY ATE 5 WAXS AND 6 TODAY:D ..SOOOO LOOKING GOOD:D ..WILL BE BUILDING NEW VIV SOON..WON`T BE READY FOR A MONTH OR TWO....AS THEY NOT KEEN ON CHANGES..HOW DO I INTRODUSE HIM TO IT????

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HI,WELL WE FIGURED OUT IT WAS THE BIRCH CHIPPING,HE HAD SWOLLOWED A PIECE,WE NEW THIS CAUSE HE PASSED IT THROUGH THE OTHER END..FROM WHEN WE WROTE THIS LAST HE HADN`T BEEN EATING ANYTHING,SO WE HAVE BEEN HAVING TO SYRING FEED HIM WITH CRITCAL CARE FEED,AND YESTERDAY(29.01.07)HE ATE 5 WAXS:D .WHAT A RELEAF,AND TODAY HE ATE 6 WAXS:D :D :D ..SO HOPEFULLY HE IS BECOMING HIMSELF...NOW I`M BUILDING A NEW BIGGER VIV FOR HIM WHICH WILL BE DONE IN A MONTH OR SO,NOW BECAUSE THEY DON`T LIKE CHANGE HOW DO I INTRODUSE HIM TO IT..?????

·
Registered
317 Posts
when i moved my ig i build the new cage next to the old one,put the lights in last while she was with the wife,she came back in looked at the old cage and new cage a couple of times,then climbed into the new one made it a easy move

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
HI,WELL WE FIGURED OUT IT WAS THE BIRCH CHIPPING,HE HAD SWOLLOWED A PIECE,WE NEW THIS CAUSE HE PASSED IT THROUGH THE OTHER END..FROM WHEN WE WROTE THIS LAST HE HADN`T BEEN EATING ANYTHING,SO WE HAVE BEEN HAVING TO SYRING FEED HIM WITH CRITCAL CARE FEED,AND YESTERDAY(29.01.07)HE ATE 5 WAXS:D .WHAT A RELEAF,AND TODAY HE ATE 6 WAXS:D :D :D ..SO HOPEFULLY HE IS BECOMING HIMSELF...NOW I`M BUILDING A NEW BIGGER VIV FOR HIM WHICH WILL BE DONE IN A MONTH OR SO,NOW BECAUSE THEY DON`T LIKE CHANGE HOW DO I INTRODUSE HIM TO IT..?????
You could always distract him with a note written entirely in caps, if you're lucky he might not notice the fact he's in a new viv? :devil: :2thumb:

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Actually they tend to handle movement stress quite well as far as I've seen, I wouldn't have used Birch Chipping anyway, Mine are sat on Bark Chips happily :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Has anyone else noticed that this thread is from 2007 :whistling2:

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Didn't actually notice, but now it makes sense.. Waterdragon555 keeps digging up old threads about water dragons for some reason :)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
The guy bumping them to be fair is asking questions similar to thoes already on here rahter than creating new threads. At least he is searching.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
The guy bumping them to be fair is asking questions similar to thoes already on here rahter than creating new threads. At least he is searching.
Actually.. he's not.. he's finding old threads and imparting false wisdom to them, atleast.. based on the last 3 threads anyway

1 - 20 of 26 Posts