Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if someone on here might know what is causing this? She's a Lampropelma Violeceopes. Bought at the BTS national this year as a sexed Juvenile. She's in a large arboreal tank and lives happily down the bottom of a large cork tube, heat and humidity are kept to recommended levels. It looks like some sort of disease? There's black bobbles like coal on her abdomen and hair loss all over. She's been like this for a few months now.

·
Registered
11,665 Posts
I wonder if someone on here might know what is causing this? She's a Lampropelma Violeceopes. Bought at the BTS national this year as a sexed Juvenile. She's in a large arboreal tank and lives happily down the bottom of a large cork tube, heat and humidity are kept to recommended levels. It looks like some sort of disease? There's black bobbles like coal on her abdomen and hair loss all over. She's been like this for a few months now.

Can't help sorry. Are you sure the sub at the bottom of the tube isn't sodden? Her abdomen looks wet. Or is it dry? She could just becoming up to a molt. T's often become a bit grubby before getting a new set of clothes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't seen any mites, the tank is not soaking, just moist substrate and a modicum of humidity.

The poor girl doesn't ever show herself in the light of day and I was lucky to get that pic, it was the first time I'd seen her for about three months.

I can shine a torch down the tube and see she's still moving about etc. so I knew not to disturb her further.

It does seem this is a real mystery then, obviously not a common ailment, I've had T's for 30 years and have never had an ill one before.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't help sorry. Are you sure the sub at the bottom of the tube isn't sodden? Her abdomen looks wet. Or is it dry? She could just becoming up to a molt. T's often become a bit grubby before getting a new set of clothes.

The black bobbles are dry and stick up from the skin some way, look just like coal!

I've seen some fading of colours before in other T's and some balding etc. before a moult but nothing for months on end like this!

·
Registered
11,665 Posts
The black bobbles are dry and stick up from the skin some way, look just like coal!

I've seen some fading of colours before in other T's and some balding etc. before a moult but nothing for months on end like this!
If it's definitely not sub that's really weird.

I've posted it on Arachnoboards for you so fingers crossed you'll have an answer shortly.

·
Registered
11,665 Posts
Going to need a better pic of the abdomen. If need be take a pic down the cork bark.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I haven't seen any mites, the tank is not soaking, just moist substrate and a modicum of humidity.

The poor girl doesn't ever show herself in the light of day and I was lucky to get that pic, it was the first time I'd seen her for about three months.

I can shine a torch down the tube and see she's still moving about etc. so I knew not to disturb her further.

It does seem this is a real mystery then, obviously not a common ailment, I've had T's for 30 years and have never had an ill one before.

Didn't you say she seems healthy though?

Also. 'doesn't ever show herself in the light of day'. Why is that a worry?

·
Registered
11,665 Posts
The concensus, from that pic is that it's just sub stuck to it's abdomen and like I typed in a previous post T's can lose hair and look grubby in between sheds.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Maybe he's been micro managing it too much. Spiders "thrive on neglect", apart from some water and the odd cricket

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't get a camera right down the hole for a closer pic, and she isn't micro-managed.

The black bobbles are some sort of scab or scarring as they were there three months ago, if it was some substrate it would have fallen off by now.

Also the colours have really faded off and there's slight hair loss all over.. she is ill and I just wish I could do something about it.

The only thing I can do is have her out (not easy without stressing her badly!) and thoroughly steam clean the tank, change the substrate back to coconut fibre and re-house her.

Any ideas of a treatment other than that would be appreciated, thank you.

·
Registered
11,665 Posts
Here's a better close up of the original pic.

I've seen you've become a member on Arachnoboards. Hopefully you'll get a definite answer.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I can't get a camera right down the hole for a closer pic, and she isn't micro-managed.

The black bobbles are some sort of scab or scarring as they were there three months ago, if it was some substrate it would have fallen off by now.

Also the colours have really faded off and there's slight hair loss all over.. she is ill and I just wish I could do something about it.

The only thing I can do is have her out (not easy without stressing her badly!) and thoroughly steam clean the tank, change the substrate back to coconut fibre and re-house her.

Any ideas of a treatment other than that would be appreciated, thank you.

I don't think T's scab up or get scar tissue. Could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
She's in a large arboreal tank and lives happily down the bottom of a large cork tube

Apart from this unknown bobbling(sic) on it, and apart from a perceived slight change in colouration, she lives quite happily. She eats okay? She moves around okay? If so then I'm not really seeing the issue tbh. You also say that it "won't come out in the day time", but thats not a problem since they are nocturnal.

How many other spiders do you have?

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
You also say that it "won't come out in the day time", but thats not a problem since they are nocturnal.
This species is highly photophobic. I would be extremely worried if it DID come out during daylight hours.

heat and humidity are kept to recommended levels.
Recommended by who ?

99.99% of online caresheets are total crap and cause more harm than good, especially in the areas of temps and humidity.

I've had several of these over the years and bred them once but sold them purely because they were as bad as a pet hole but took up more space due to the size of the arboreal tanks.

Temps mid 70's and humidity . . whatever the room humidity is. (There are very few species in the hobby that need elevated humidity levels)

The tank can be heavily misted once every 7-10 days but it MUST be allowed to totally dry out and left dry for several days afterwards before misting again.
Personally I've never misted any tarantula of any species as Ive found that there is no need.

Substrate should be on the dry side of slightly moist (dry rather than moist and NEVER wet) a water bowl should be supplied at all time, the size of the bowl will depend on the size of tank and the amount of ventilation available.

The picture isnt of the best quality so a detailed look isnt possible but it looks very ropey possibly because it may need a moult and the bits on the abdomen looks like substrate.
This species will (and does) make a burrow at the bottom of the cork tube out into the substrate if there is any sort of gap that it can fit into.
I usually fill the cork tube halfway with loose substrate as many arboreals incorporate it into their webbing (not Avics)

·
Premium Member
9,692 Posts
surely, if its substrate, it will be the same colour and have the same appearance as the substrate? And surely, within a short period, that substrate will dry out and fall off?

·
Registered
32,920 Posts
surely, if its substrate, it will be the same colour and have the same appearance as the substrate? And surely, within a short period, that substrate will dry out and fall off?
That's what a couple of others have suggested. It's obviously something else going on there.

·
Registered
11,665 Posts
She shed and is now fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts