Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm just away to change/clean out the indoor enclosure - sorry if I sound thick but I have to ask :blush:.
We had the small woodchips before and I've bought compressed barley straw - is this suitable? If so, will it be OK under the heatlamp?

We've got an area of soil and stones its just the soft stuff I'm concerned about.

Any info would be great.
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
Is this for a tortoise?
I always recomend top soil for tortoises mixed 70/30 with childrens play sand, you can get this from B&Q or any garden centre

I use top soil and sand mix one end, then the other end readigrass

Readigrass is dried grass and can be eaten and very safe (i sell it in my shop)

Hay is not suitable for tortoises

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, been and got some grass and bark. Straw delivered to neighbour with g.pigs.....

Learning the hard way!!!!!!
Thanks again.

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
When you say you have got some grass, it needs to be Readigrass as opposed to normal cut grass from the garden.

I just use top soil for bedding and it enables them to bed down and dig about in it, tis nice and natural and its nice and cheap - win win situation :2thumb:

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
When you say you have got some grass, it needs to be Readigrass as opposed to normal cut grass from the garden.

I just use top soil for bedding and it enables them to bed down and dig about in it, tis nice and natural and its nice and cheap - win win situation :2thumb:

I sometimes use grass cut from my garden. Especially for my stars, its fresh and they like to eat it. It then just dried out.

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
I sometimes use grass cut from my garden. Especially for my stars, its fresh and they like to eat it. It then just dried out.

Fair cop - none of mine eat it and I wouldn't have thought it was too good in bedding when wet, yours probably eat it before it gets wet/wee'd on though :lol2:

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
It normally dried out with the heat, so its is just like readigrass

This is a really old picture but this is cut grass from my garden. I like to use a layer of top soil then grass on top. It works well

I know people who wont use sand and soil as it can irritate eyes

·
Registered
748 Posts
I dry out my own long field grass instead of buying redigrass. Its free and i know that its not sprayed or anything nasty on it.

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
Ive had her for about 4 years now. She came from a guy who kept her in a fish tank. He swapped some snakes for her, then got bored.

:devil::devil::devil: grrrrrrrrrrrr I wont type what I want to, your ears will burn :lol2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts