Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just talking to my friend who has owned her bearded dragon, Steve for about a year and a half now. She said he's been fine with her ever since she got him, but recently he's been aggressive toward her. She was hand feeding him apple the other day and he bit her finger and latched onto her, drawing blood.

I said maybe it was because he mistook her finger for food so he just went for it? She thinks that could've been the case but she said he'd been acting aggressive toward her for a while now, not just when feeding. Any ideas guys?

If you need anymore information I'll ask her for it. She doesn't have an account on here so I offered to ask on here for her :)
I seriously had no idea what to tell her except maybe it was the food thing, or he needs to see a vet.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Personally I would stop the hand feeding - can often lead to problems such as this.

May also be the time of year, hormones may be getting the better of him.

Aggression can also be signs of problems (often pain or maybe husbandry related). Get her to check her husbandry and a vet check wouldn't go amiss, although I doubt they'd test for anything without good reason.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Woodrott wrote this explanation last year , -

99% of the time aggression is linked to hormones in males and females
with females its mostly when they cycle[time of the month type thing]

with males its Territorial lots of things can trigger this
if your wearing black or a dark coloured t shirt
if you move or get new things in the room
or even the time of year

it should pass in a few weeks

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I was just talking to my friend who has owned her bearded dragon, Steve for about a year and a half now. She said he's been fine with her ever since she got him, but recently he's been aggressive toward her. She was hand feeding him apple the other day and he bit her finger and latched onto her, drawing blood.

I said maybe it was because he mistook her finger for food so he just went for it? She thinks that could've been the case but she said he'd been acting aggressive toward her for a while now, not just when feeding. Any ideas guys?

If you need anymore information I'll ask her for it. She doesn't have an account on here so I offered to ask on here for her :)
I seriously had no idea what to tell her except maybe it was the food thing, or he needs to see a vet.

Possibly ready to mate? Should just leave him to calm down and be hands off, feeding animals with your hands associates your hands with food.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I'll let her know the current replies :)
She did say she'd stop the hand feeding now, to be honest I think she's a bit scared of him now. He gave her a nasty bite.
:flrt:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Woodrott wrote this explanation last year , -

99% of the time aggression is linked to hormones in males and females
with females its mostly when they cycle[time of the month type thing]

with males its Territorial lots of things can trigger this
if your wearing black or a dark coloured t shirt
if you move or get new things in the room
or even the time of year

it should pass in a few weeks
Hiya! Thanks for this:)
My female has started to blow her beard up randomly over the past few days, I put my hand in to stroke her and she was fine, did the same before I turned her lights out and she puffed out at me, I woke up the other day (lights are on a timer) and she was on her basking rock with her beard puffed out... It's making me nervous to take her out to handle so I've just tried leaving her alone.
Could this be her time of month? Or should I make a whole new thread for this? Seems weird that she's getting stroppy around the same time as my friends beardie. Well, not weird but yeah...

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
They might be considered dog tame animals but my little rankins caught me once when I surprised her. She literally took the end of my finger clean off, bled like mad. Now I have a slight flat fingertip lol. I never hand feed anything or even go in when I feed them. I've even had a crestie tag me by mistake when I was trying to stop the crix from hiding. She stuck me a good one on the finger, realised it was me let go and just stood there like.....:censor:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They might be considered dog tame animals but my little rankins caught me once when I surprised her. She literally took the end of my finger clean off, bled like mad. Now I have a slight flat fingertip lol. I never hand feed anything or even go in when I feed them. I've even had a crestie tag me by mistake when I was trying to stop the crix from hiding. She stuck me a good one on the finger, realised it was me let go and just stood there like.....:censor:
ooh they never cease to surprise us, huh? :lol2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts