Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says I'm looking for help towards setting up a planted terrarium, the size of the enclosure is 30x30x45 (LxDxH) and will be housing my adult female Poecilotheria Metallica. They're from Indian rainforests type regions so I'd ideally like to focus around that climate.

What sort of plants could I put in there? I like the idea of some natural 'grass' type plants, maybe a fern, bromeliads, orchids and moss

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Mods if you feel this is in the wrong group then please delete. I thought it would be best to ask in here because of all the dart frog keepers :flrt:

·
Registered
17,604 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For a climbing spider, creeper-style plants are probabably appropriate- pothos, is sturdy and easy to grow. Other Asian plants that might do well include leaf begonias and birds nest fern- although in time, that last can get pretty big- the other two can be trimmed as necessary.

.Pothos Houseplant - Description, Growing Tips

growing fancy-leaf begonias, indoors and out - A Way To Garden

/http://houseplants.about.com/od/ferns/p/BirdsNest.htm
Brilliant, thankyou for your help :) Are these plants readily avaliable? Sorry I'm completely new to all of this stuff :bash:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, any garden centre will have them. They are best repotted and 'rested' for a while before you use them, as most commercailly available plants will be treated with fertilisers and pesticides.
Brilliant, I wouldn't of thought of that so you potentially saved me from making a very costly mistake :)

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Begonia schulzei is a lovely creeping/climbing begonia with pretty pink flowers if u want an attractive creeper

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Begonia schulzei is a lovely creeping/climbing begonia with pretty pink flowers if u want an attractive creeper
Yeah they look nice :)

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
great point Ron!

john

Yep, any garden centre will have them. They are best repotted and 'rested' for a while before you use them, as most commercailly available plants will be treated with fertilisers and pesticides.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.