Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm new to this forum and looking for some help.

I've recently just got a corn snake, as far as I know its an 08 hachling, but still really small. The sex has not been identified (saying 'he' for now), but he's really nippy. The only way he doesn't bite is if you hold him with thin gloves on.
Is there a way to train him? Or is it just a battle of time and handling him that will calm him down?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Claire

·
Registered
638 Posts
Its a case of being brave and getting on with it and he will soon settle down. If you get tagged it should hurt all that much. I'd ditch the glove and go for it. He should tame down quickly as most corns do.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I started with one gloved and one non gloved hand, pick him up with the gloved and let him move between your two. Gradually start holding him with the ungloved hand and then move onto reaching into the viv and picking him up ungloved.
Worked a treat for me.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Yep...Unless it's a royal...I'm a complete wuss.

Never used to me...used to stride in and handle my adult male diadem racer (well reknowned COMPLETE nutcases with rear fangs...very flighty) when I was 15-16 years old with no trouble...

But now...I turn to jelly if a corn looks edgy... LOL...

Royals are fine...they're cute when they're feisty...don't bother me at all. It's just corns and such like as they're so flighty and shoot off through your hands in a split second. Even though I know a bite won't hurt.

Gloves work wonders...they make you feel SO brave :D

With a hatchling corn...all you need to remember is that even if it did bite you...you certainly wouldn't feel it...their teeth are so small at that age/size it would barely even break the skin.

I've been bitten hundreds of times...mostly by baby royals, adult corns, kings, ratsnakes, boas and such like...My very first bite at the age of 13-14 was from an adult male cali king (completely my fault) and if I'm completely honest...I didn't even realise until I saw the marks. I thought he'd headbutted me it was that painless...and that was an adult.

All hatchling snakes can be nippy until they realise you're just a nice warm branch...just keep at it...he'll be daft as a brush in no time.

One question...how long ago did you get him...he may still need some settling in time...

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I started with one gloved and one non gloved hand, pick him up with the gloved and let him move between your two. Gradually start holding him with the ungloved hand and then move onto reaching into the viv and picking him up ungloved.
Worked a treat for me.
Exactly what i did with my nasty ghost motley and its done the trick!

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
yeah mght need time to settle me dwarf burmese launched outt he tub at me first week but last night she was as good as gold after only 3 weeks
i mean come on a small corn aint gonna draw blood like a small gopher i had once it just didnt like me lol

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I picked up a feisty ratsnake from a mate who had lost confidence with him, and he gave me a lovely bite while I was there.

After he'd settled in here I used gardening gloves, and removed them one at a time when he'd settled, he's musked a few times but hasn't bitten me again.

My housemate recently took a little ratsnake from a mate of ours and he was just constantly biting and striking, so she just kept on getting him out. Yesterday she got him out, he didn't strike or bite and he spend 20 minutes coiled up in her hand.

It really is all about perseverance.

And gloves are ace, nobody wants to be bitten and I find I'm much more confident with gloves on if I feel wary.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for that guys :notworthy:

we'll let you know how it goes!

Dan (claire's boyfriend, who's, *cough cough*, not at all scared of the little blighter) :whistling2:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Don't hesitate.
Just put your hand in slowly(ish) and get it out.
If you wear a glove you can't feel how tight you're holding it.

Let it bite you all it wants. An 08 won't hurt, let alone draw blood.
It'll soon get bored when it realises you aren't going to kill it.

If you're really scared chuck a worn teeshirt in. Or a clean sock, and just rub it on your arm to scent it.
Should slither inside and reagrd the new scent as safe.

Alternatively get a bigger, meaner snake.
Then the corn will seem a doddle :)
X

1 - 9 of 9 Posts