Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

Am hoping somebody can assist. Two weeks ago we had to take Cosmo out of his viv and to say he was upset was an understatement. However, within a day or two he was back to his old self, eating and moving freely around in front of us.

However for the past week or so he hasn't eaten anything bar one meal worm although it is possible he may have had a cricket or two and maybe a locust but we can't be sure, nor can we tell if he's drunk. When we've been around he has hidden away in his bed corner and while we were hoping he'd be happier when we went back to work, he still hasn't eaten anything although he is basking.

We tried to interest him in a cricket this evening but all he did was to display at us!

His is sloughing heavily and prior to this his black spots in his skin were more prominent than usual. His eyes look ok and his tail his semi curling when he is asleep.

Advice would be appreciated or if not we're in East London if anybody knows a good vet as we're getting very concerned now as this behaviour isn't typical. He has been upset before but has got over it very quickly!

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
i wouldn't worry too much (yet)..they can go upto 14 days without food and not be at any risk..sometimes they just hunger strike...

this can be due to several reasons such as stress/dehydration/illness.

when you say semi curling what do you mean? the tail is a sure sign whether or not he is ill..does the end hang rather than curl into a tight spiral?

keep giving him water (you may have to be inventive..i.e pipette/hamster water bottle/spray him lightly so he shuts his eyes and when he starts opening his mouth, to lick condensed water, dribble water over the tip of his nose.) as more often than not lack of water will put them off their food.

have you noticed any change in colour apart from the spots? weaker colours or darker colours? oh and make him hiss and see what colour the inside of his mouth is....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BELIAL said:
i wouldn't worry too much (yet)..they can go upto 14 days without food and not be at any risk..sometimes they just hunger strike...

Phew! I feel a bit better already.

this can be due to several reasons such as stress/dehydration/illness.

when you say semi curling what do you mean? the tail is a sure sign whether or not he is ill..does the end hang rather than curl into a tight spiral?

He is curling is tail around 1/3 of the way up but we've only seen it totally curled when he's sleeping a few times.

keep giving him water (you may have to be inventive..i.e pipette/hamster water bottle/spray him lightly so he shuts his eyes and when he starts opening his mouth, to lick condensed water, dribble water over the tip of his nose.) as more often than not lack of water will put them off their food.

He is getting water, he drinks from a bowl and we saw him do that last week and could lick moisture off the plants as the water drips down them and we spray the viv daily. He isn't overly keen on being sprayed directly and I'm wary about doing anything that could stress him more.

have you noticed any change in colour apart from the spots? weaker colours or darker colours? oh and make him hiss and see what colour the inside of his mouth is....
His mouth is nice and pink as ever although he is a tad darker than normal.

He has been on his own for two days now and will be until Saturday when we're around when he is awake. We're really hoping some time away from us will do him good.

Thanks so much for your reply... it is very worrying!

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
always is when they decide to be a pain in the neck! i have a few (to say the least!) and when a couple decide to play up is very stressful!

like i said he can go for 14 days...long as he is moving and not just lying there with his eyes shut (means he is ill if he does this) try not to worry.

it could all be related to the stress of being taken out of his viv..he will get over it if it is..just leave him to sort himself out...the darker colouring could be due to stress...chameleon colours are like a language...you just have to be understand it! not always easy!

just keep the water going just in case...

any odd signs that don't seem right, any strange behaviour just pm me and i will try and help you out (well try my best anyway!! :) )

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again, I'll keep you posted!

Who'd of thought that a reptile would cause so much angst! It's not as if he gives anything back! :lol:

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
my cham didnt appear to be eating for ages and now he eats out of my hand but he still turns his nose up sometimes at me :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts