Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I've had a pair of star agamas for about 5 months now and I can't find any useful info on the web about keeping them. My little boy is mithering my little girl for sexy time at the moment and she's biting the hell out of him. He's been bleeding quite a bit. Also I've noticed his belly is scratched up, possibly from scraping himself up or down her tail as they are really quite sharp scales. My question is how long will this go on for before they get back to just playing together? I've read and been told that they are communal animals and my pair normally get on really well. Do they have an actual breeding season? if so how long does it last? also would it be best to get some antiseptic for his bites? if so which one would you recommend? Any help anyone could give me would be gratefully recieved

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
as you can see the advice that you have been given is fundamentally wrong!

firstly how big is the enclosure and of what type? what equipment do you have and how is that set up? what is the diet and how much do you feed?

the more info you can provide the more keepers can help: victory:

john

Reactions: Valnutter

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as you can see the advice that you have been given is fundamentally wrong!

firstly how big is the enclosure and of what type? what equipment do you have and how is that set up? what is the diet and how much do you feed?

the more info you can provide the more keepers can help: victory:

john
They're in a 5'x2'x2' with UV light, heat lamp and a heat mat for at night. They're on woodchip. The viv came complete with all the decor as its home made and the cave, basking area and the backing are all incorporated into it. They've finished fighting, the deed has been done and now I think the girl is gravid as she's getting quite fat and sleeps a lot. They eat mainly locusts, meal worms and wax worms. They have a constant supply of worms which they eat as and when and the locusts I put in one at a time until they've had their fill. Theyre really very clever, they recognise the sound of the box lid being opened so if they're hungry they come over, if not they turn their backs on me. They shed and poop like they should. The girl likes salad, grapes and strawberries but the boy isn't that keen. I let them out every day for a proper run around and she's still running around like a loon even though she is fatter. Im looking for a care sheet or a book or something about them, I cant seem to find anything that goes into depth like you find for beardies. I'm looking to getting them a taller viv with more climbing areas in the new year so need all the info I can find. Also if she is going to lay eggs i'm going to need advice on what to do to care for babies (if we actually get any). I've put some moss into the viv so she can nest in that before I can get some Vermiculite (?). Another reason why i'd like some recommended reading material so I know what to look out for when she's ready to lay etc. Thanks for your answer

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
You will not find much at all. Another species harvested by the thousand and still no real data.

I would start with wild research. Google up as much info as you can about them in the wild, the localities, weather and temp patterns, food sources, other local species, humidity levels, hours of sunlight, UVIndex, trapper and holiday maker reports.

Locate any zoo that has any on their lists and write to them

Then it's down to copying the wild!!! You won't go wrong then.

John

They're in a 5'x2'x2' with UV light, heat lamp and a heat mat for at night. They're on woodchip. The viv came complete with all the decor as its home made and the cave, basking area and the backing are all incorporated into it. They've finished fighting, the deed has been done and now I think the girl is gravid as she's getting quite fat and sleeps a lot. They eat mainly locusts, meal worms and wax worms. They have a constant supply of worms which they eat as and when and the locusts I put in one at a time until they've had their fill. Theyre really very clever, they recognise the sound of the box lid being opened so if they're hungry they come over, if not they turn their backs on me. They shed and poop like they should. The girl likes salad, grapes and strawberries but the boy isn't that keen. I let them out every day for a proper run around and she's still running around like a loon even though she is fatter. Im looking for a care sheet or a book or something about them, I cant seem to find anything that goes into depth like you find for beardies. I'm looking to getting them a taller viv with more climbing areas in the new year so need all the info I can find. Also if she is going to lay eggs i'm going to need advice on what to do to care for babies (if we actually get any). I've put some moss into the viv so she can nest in that before I can get some Vermiculite (?). Another reason why i'd like some recommended reading material so I know what to look out for when she's ready to lay etc. Thanks for your answer

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I keep and breed this species.

1 Get rid of the heat mat, or at least unplug it ! They need to cool down at night. I don't know how warm your house is at night, but whatever it is, it is warm enough for this species !

2 Males would naturally have a line of raised scales on the belly. You may be confusing what you are seeing as damage, for these scales. Can I suggest you double check both of them and make sure you have the sexing correct.

3 Do you want to have babies ? If you allow the female to become gravid then you need to provide a large box in the viv, say around 30x30x30 cm filled with a damp mix of compost and sand for her to lay in. Incubation is then an option, but only if you have the space/money/time to care for the babies until they are large enough to sell. These lizards do not lay into moss, they lay into sandy soil.

4 Be aware that the female could potentially produce three clutches of eggs. If you incubate them all, you may have problems selling them on. If you have a decent local reptile shop its worth asking them if they might want some, and if so how much they might consider paying for them. Its going to take alot of insects to produce those eggs, even if you don't incubate them.

5 You viv size is a good one, well done. But in the wild although they often can be seen together, the females always have the option of getting more than 5 feet away from males should they wish too. In captivity they do not have that option.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
John's advice is good for any species, not just the Laudakia genus.

In regard to temps, mine live outdoors all year round and are perfectly ok with frosty weather, as long as they get underground below the frost. They are much hardier than most people suspect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts