Reptile Forums banner

help needed!

399 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  pythonmorphs 
#1 ·
Ok....I no a fair bit about my royals but not really pastels...I need to know about pastel siblings....do they carry the gene to produce pastels when mated with another sibling or visual pastel or are they just normals with pastel bros/sis?

#2 ·
If Im correct I think pastel is dominant... remember reading that or hearing that... so you would get pastels..

#3 ·
Pastel sibling is as it says, brother or sister to a visual pastel. Its a co dominant gene so you can not be het for pastel. If you breed a sibling with a visual pastel you will still get 50/50 pastels and normals as the visual gene would be the one doing the work. If mated with another sibling you would just get normals, possibly very pretty normals but will be normal none the less.

Hope that helped, I think I remembered it right :D :lol:

#4 ·
aaaah ok, so basically id need to breed to a pastel to see any offspring be pastel, and even then would only be half the clutch?
If bred to another sinbling wouldnt produce no pastels as just classed as a normal sibling to a pastel....thats pretty much wat i thought but hav heard otherwise and just needed to be sure
Nat xx

#5 ·
Yep, thats pretty much it. You need a visual pastel to get any visual offspring. So a Pastel to a normal would produce 50% Pastels from the clutch. :lol: :lol:

#6 ·
Ok....I no a fair bit about my royals but not really pastels...I need to know about pastel siblings....do they carry the gene to produce pastels when mated with another sibling or visual pastel or are they just normals with pastel bros/sis?
Pastel siblings are just normal appearing clutchmates of a pastels. As has been said you need a visual with co dom so no normal hets the hets are visual in the form of pastels the dominant ones would be super pastels from breeding two pastels together. If you are still not sure apparently there is an American forum with lots of top breeders on who could eat us all for breakfast about genetics I am sure Jack could ask them for you. Not that I am clever I just read alot about co dom and all this without asking the Americans Jack :lol:

#8 ·
scarlettvegetable said:
Pastel sibling is as it says, brother or sister to a visual pastel. Its a co dominant gene so you can not be het for pastel. If you breed a sibling with a visual pastel you will still get 50/50 pastels and normals as the visual gene would be the one doing the work. If mated with another sibling you would just get normals, possibly very pretty normals but will be normal none the less.

Hope that helped, I think I remembered it right :D :lol:
You passed your genetics 101 exam and now are ready to move to the American forums :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.