Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i dont know whether anyone can give me some advice but when i went to check on the mice today there are spots of blood all over the bedding. i Have checked the mice and cant see any bites or wounds but she dosnt appear to have given birth either? is it normal for a mouse to bleed while pregnant or should i be worried? should i be removing the male from the cage? any advise is muchly appreciated.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not sure on the age exactly but the female has alays been alot smaller than the male. im not 100% sure she's pregnant but they have certainly been trying alot!..lol the thing is i noticed the female behaving oddly yesterday(she sat in her food bowl for most of the day) then there was the blood this morning. im wondering whether she's had the babies and eaten them in the night as she is a first time mother?? but she's staying in the house today where as the male is active as always.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
yeah hate to say it but it does kinda sound like she's dropped them then eaten them, I'd definately keep an eye on her tho as if she's young she could have had difficulties with birth and you might get problems. Sure she's not got a couple of pinkys hidden in the house with her??

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i cant see anything in there but i was relectant to open the house while she's hiding in there..il open it up now and see if theres and new arrivals.....fingers crossed

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just cleaned them out there was quite alot of blood in there for such a little animal but i wondered is it like dogs when they come into season?? there still trying again right as i type this so i guess il just watch out for anymore blood..im guessing she ate them tho

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i found out from the lady at the pet shop yesterday that this is quite common when the mouse comes into season. hopefuly in a few weeks i should my first litter! the bleeding has stopped and the male is looking very pleased with himself so il keep you updated on the progress. :D

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
I dont think you would really notice that much blood when they come into season as they tend to clean themselves down there often. Even if there was some spotting it would only be very lightly. Im guessing shes either miscarried them and eaten them herself or they have been born alive and the male has eaten them. :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts