Reptile Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
two of my tokay eggs have been incubating for a while now.had another look at them this weekend and candled them.now the thing is, to me they look strange.never had experience with tokay eggs before so im asking for a little bit of input.
what should they be looking like?
these two when candled have a red mass situated at the bottom part of the egg.is this correct? and also quite heavy in weight
the new egg that was laid last week when candled has a yellow mass at the bottom part of the egg but have some very clear veins running through it.
this to me looks normal and fertile.
how long is the longest i should leave them before knowing they are duds/dead etc?? what will a dud egg look like at this stage??
they are incubating at a nice 85 degrees

i am at around 49 days into the incubation now and they are due around the `10th of dec

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
I would assume the red mass is the forming embryo. I've had that with all my eggs but never really paid much attention to its location.

However yellow eggs is frequently a sign that the egg was never fertilised.

Marina:)

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but the yellow coloured egg was laid only last week? and it has veins running through it?

maybe im just panicking for nothing,maybe it is just the embryo just doing candling on both eggs has confused me a little lol
i have a little more time before they are due to hatch so ill just have to keep everything crossed for then.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
it sounds like it might not be a fertile egg.i would leave it in there untill basicly id just gos really mouldy or collapses.i aint got tokays but if its the same as leos then eggs can be cooking in the inc for the full time and end up being unfertile.but half the time if you take it out it could be a little one in there.

i would leave it in there but put it in another container so you know which is wich.its not doing any harm incubating so just leave it cooking.you might get a suprise out of it who knows

1 - 4 of 4 Posts