Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am new to the inverts hobby and have just purchased a forest scorpion (heterometrus cyaneus)

I have brought everything I thought I'd need as I researched this scorpion.

I have attached a picture of the enclosure, I just want to make sure I have got it right and I know there are many experienced people here who could advise me, tell me if I am doing anything wrong, what I can do better etc

The scorpian is currently in the closure having brought him/her today.

I have a 7W heat mat attached to the side it is 15cm by 28cm.

I have a dial thermometer currently other side of the heat mat, reading, 22-23 degrees, is this OK? I live in a one bedroom flat so it's never cold in the flat I have the flat temp set at 22 and if it goes under it automatically goes back up to that temp, I set it like this before I got the scorpion, is that OK?
I have spider Habistat bedding.
Also at the cold side I have put sphagnum moss, to give it a wet choice, is this OK or wrong? The scorpion is currently dug into it and is in it.

I have large locusts in a box, the scorpion is a sub adult i think, not small and not big, how many locusts should they be eating a week?

Do I need anything else and am I doing anything wrong?

Shall I keep the heat matt on 24 hours and should I get a thermostat?

Thank you to any one who replys just worried I am doing it wrong.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Lots wrong here.
First off the enclosure itself. Its an arboreal tank, completely unsuitable for a scorpion.
The substrate could do with more depth. It doesn't need branches and vines.
Heating - a little on the cool side. Those cheap dial thermometers are useless as they are wildly inaccurate.
Personally I would change the enclosure to a terrestrial one, provide a deeper substrate, a d give more cover. Get a digital thermometer.
Also, where are you measuring the temperature?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lots wrong here.
First off the enclosure itself. Its an arboreal tank, completely unsuitable for a scorpion.
The substrate could do with more depth. It doesn't need branches and vines.
Heating - a little on the cool side. Those cheap dial thermometers are useless as they are wildly inaccurate.
Personally I would change the enclosure to a terrestrial one, provide a deeper substrate, a d give more cover. Get a digital thermometer.
Also, where are you measuring the temperature?
Thanks for the reply.

I read that it naturally climbs short heights in the wild? I must have read it wrong.

I will change the tank, how much substrate do they need? The man in the reptile shop only told me to buy one pack of substrate as they don't like to burrow, but it's currently burrowed in the moss, so i guess they actually do.

The temperature thermometer is on the opposite side of the tank from the heat matt, is that ok? So i guess you could say that's the cool side?

Do you recommended a type of thermometer or is any one ok ?

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts