Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there iv just rescued an adult iguana from a neglected owner and im in the process of building him a 5ft wide x 7ft tall x 3ft deep and will be finished next week. I have purchased a arcadia d3 uv basking lamp and the corresponding reflector dome along with a 75w halogen bulb on a fixture, do i have the halogen facing towards the basking spot also or use it for a different spot, i have also bought a habistat dimming thermostat to control the halogen incase of overheating. i dont understand where to place what really, any help would be greatly appreciated as i dont have much time to decide and want to make him have the best life possible,
thanks for your time !!!

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
hi,

yes heat and light should be in the same area ideally.

this creates areas of light and shade that the animal can self regulate under

if you get stuck please let me know

John

hi there iv just rescued an adult iguana from a neglected owner and im in the process of building him a 5ft wide x 7ft tall x 3ft deep and will be finished next week. I have purchased a arcadia d3 uv basking lamp and the corresponding reflector dome along with a 75w halogen bulb on a fixture, do i have the halogen facing towards the basking spot also or use it for a different spot, i have also bought a habistat dimming thermostat to control the halogen incase of overheating. i dont understand where to place what really, any help would be greatly appreciated as i dont have much time to decide and want to make him have the best life possible,
thanks for your time !!!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Since its an adult iguana you will want multiple halogen lights in a row, instead of just one. You want to provide the animal with a nice basking spot basically the same size of the animal without its tail. For an adult iguana youd be looking at three or four halogens in a row.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry for the late reply and thanks for your replies, my equipment so far is
arcadia d3 basking lamp and reflector,
arcadia halogen 75w basking bulb connected through habistat dimmer,
54w t5 uv tube,
100w black ceramic heater, and guard

im wanting to get the superfog or a misting system? is this a good idea or should i just spray regularly, and is it even safe to use one with the heat bulbs etc.
thanks for any replies.

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
Auto hydration is great IF you can get it to work properly! you need to use RO water really or they tend to block up.

please keep water away from direct contact with heat sources or they will explode. hot glass+ cold water= explosion

john

sorry for the late reply and thanks for your replies, my equipment so far is
arcadia d3 basking lamp and reflector,
arcadia halogen 75w basking bulb connected through habistat dimmer,
54w t5 uv tube,
100w black ceramic heater, and guard

im wanting to get the superfog or a misting system? is this a good idea or should i just spray regularly, and is it even safe to use one with the heat bulbs etc.
thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so they are ok to use inside the same enclosure if the mist is sprayed on the opposite side to where the basking bulbs are and if the spray doesnt directly contact the bulb?, what about all the water vapor in the air, im guessing they wouldnt make them if you couldnt but im a newbie at this, i was looking at the pollywog mister also, do you need ro water with a pollywog or is that just for the compact foggers such as the superfog, and will bottled water work lastly what do you mean by if you can get them to work properly,
thanks for your time john.

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
water must not come into direct contact with the lamp, it should be well away from spray units.

I haven't found a spray system that didn't clog up myself. Thrown quite a few away but if I was to buy another one id probably buy the pollywog or import an aquazamp. Then its up to you to get clean de mineralised water through it. RO is best I feel for this,

ok so they are ok to use inside the same enclosure if the mist is sprayed on the opposite side to where the basking bulbs are and if the spray doesnt directly contact the bulb?, what about all the water vapor in the air, im guessing they wouldnt make them if you couldnt but im a newbie at this, i was looking at the pollywog mister also, do you need ro water with a pollywog or is that just for the compact foggers such as the superfog, and will bottled water work lastly what do you mean by if you can get them to work properly,
thanks for your time john.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts