Reptile Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts
red mites, mean they have had a nice meal and are full, you should put the lizard in some water and try and wash off and kill some of the mites. i think alot of people here use frontline to get rid of mites. i use Repel Permanone. which is 0.5% permethrin, 99.5% other ingredients.

change your substrate and put the new substrate in the cage. take the lizard and water bowl out of the cage and take the lizard totally out of the room. spray the new substrate till it fogs. cover the cage totally and let it sit like that for an hour (leave everything else in the cage also). uncover the cage totally and let it air out for an hour. put the lizard and water bowl back in the cage. it will kill any mites on the lizard. in case of eggs do this again in 2 weeks.

thats the way i do it, like i said most use frontline here, im sure someone will post how to do it, im not totally sure

Discussion starter · #22 ·
thanx for that jack, he is a good little eater, crickits,salad and veg.he is on repti sand at the mo this is what the shop recomended im a little concerened as ive heard they can get compacted,what would you recomend instead.luv cathx

if ur baby has mites hun scrap ur substrate altogether and use newspaper or kitchen roll as sand makes a very very easy place for tiny mites to hide, and also on white kitchen roll they are easy to spot and substrate should be changed DAILY until the mites have gone xx

mites

Hi cathki

the best way to kill mites is to drown them. bath your lizard including his head. mites tend to live in the creases of skin around the ead and face of the lizard so you need to submerse his head aswell. Just dont drown him!

Discussion starter · #27 ·
thanx everyone have managed to get some stuff to get rid of the mites today,so have sprayed him and completley emptied his viv and done that too the washed him is water. loads of red mites came off, we have put white kitchen roll in the viv now we have been told to do him every 3 days till all the mites have gone.this advice has been invaluable from the people who own CRITTERS at hindley, in wigan.im so glad we went today or we may have had a dead pallid agama on our hands.we also have accuired a corn snake yesterday, our collection is growing by the month!!! so me and hubby are trying to learn as much as poss as soon as poss.phew!!!. luv cathx

Discussion starter · #31 ·
thanx tombraider,im really nervous bout startin uni today i will feel beta after this weeks ova.i have been changing the kitchen roll in ste's tank bout 5 times a day every time i see quite a few mites on it i wip it out wipe his viv and put fresh in poor lad i think hes gettin fed up of me interfeerin but it has to be done.he is due to be sprayed again today and washed down so hopefully that shoud get rid of a lot more of the little buggers. where do red mites come from anyway.luv cathx

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Hi guys, just thought i'd gie an update on ste our anagma. the mites have gone now thank god it took us a few months to get rid of them, hes real good now. hes very lively when handling him we have to be careful he doesnt do a runner. hehe. luv cathx

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.