Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys

My mother got her first corn snake on Friday and shes pretty sure its going to shed. She was wondering is it still ok to feed a snake when its going to shed and is it still ok for her to take it out, or would she be better just leaving it alone :lol:

Cheers

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
She can offer it food if she likes but 9 times out of 10 they wont feed when in shed, so she is probably better off not wasting the mouse! I would also tell her not to handle it, as they tend to get quite stressed around shedding time.

It will probably already be stressed as it has just been moved, so its best not to add to it just yet :D

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
my corn will usually eat when in shed if i dont notice, if i do notice i dont offer, as for handling it usually stresses them out as when the eyes cloud over they cant see properly, and i read that the skin is delicate after a shed so its best to wait at least a day.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok cheers guys :lol:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
A lot of snakes will feed while in shed but something I've noticed in the past is that it slows down the shedding process.
While maybe not harmful for them, unless they have problems shedding anyway, I prefer to leave mine until they've shed, then give them a decent meal a day or two after.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
i have to be honest, i would say more than 9 out of 10 THEY DO eat..
almost every single one i have ever had did so, you get the odd one that simply didnt eat when in shed, but most corns will.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok thanks guys, ill let her no. It should cheer her up a bit, she cant get round the fact she has a pet that only eats once a week :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts