Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, well as some of you know I have recently taken on a chameleon who is VERY underweight.

well was just wondering realisticly what he should be eating a day, bearing in mind we also wana get his weight back as it should be?

So far today he has happily ate 4 waxworms, has also been offered 1 locust and 4 crix which we are waiting to see if they tempt him.

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
come on! With 19 views some1 must be able to help!! lol

Also to ad he is 15 months old, and body is bout 6 inches, bout 12-13 inches INC. tail 8)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
i'm not expert, but giving him more waxworms than normal to get some weight on him seems a good idea.
I'd keep offering him locusts and crickets as well as see which ones he seems to like more, just make sure he doesn't get addicted on waxworms

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hhmmm will keep ya posted, dont really want hm addicted to waxworms lol...at the mo tho, he has shown no interest wat-so-eva in crix or locust but what worried me is now am finding out that his diet consisted mainly or veg and sald with a few crix etc thrown in!! :2wallbang:

·
Registered
336 Posts
pheonix worms may be a good idea, they are ridiculously high in everything good, and look a little like waxies so could be a good trick

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
phoenix worms? Iv neva heard of them and our reptile shop has defo neva stocked them? What are they and where could I get them from??

·
Registered
336 Posts
http://shop.pollywog.co.uk/index.php?cPath=98_99 to buy in uk

very 60x higher than any other feeder in cal but just a s nutritious as cricks i belive, do a google on them it brings up tonnes of sites all in the us mainly

Rich in calcium, the Phoenix Worm - Hermetia illucens - makes an ideal food for most animals that don't readily feed. They wiggle intensely exciting the feeding process. They also stay fresh in their cup for weeks at room temperature and do not need to be cultured or fed. Even better, they do not make noise and are completely odourless.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
yeh, i was looking up on them for suppliers and as apo says they are ment to be really healthy, but pollywog.co.uk is the only supplier i've been able to find so far for the UK :?

·
Registered
336 Posts
im getting some for my BDs, just have to wait for em to come so i know what size to order up :) no feeding and no noise sonds great to me, and a month shelf life aint bad at all

·
Registered
336 Posts
hehe, no probs just name your fierst born after me or something, :p

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
going to The Living Rainforest in rhyl today with my m8s anyway so i'm gonna see what the guys think of them or if they know them or stock any

fingers crossed :)

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bit late lmao my 1st born is 14 months old :lol:

neonius I will hold off ordering till u speak to them, they should defo no wether 2 recommend em or not

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Nat said:
bit late lmao my 1st born is 14 months old :lol:

neonius I will hold off ordering till u speak to them, they should defo no wether 2 recommend em or not
sure, will post back later today on what they tell me

·
Registered
336 Posts
bit late lmao my 1st born is 14 months old

damn! hehe, oh well next BD or Cham called Apoc then, im not fussy LMAO :D 8)

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
but pollywog.co.uk is the only supplier i've been able to find so far for the UK
Hi Guys,
The reason behind this is that our "sister company" Pollywog Livefoods are the sole importers / distributors for the Phoenix Worm.
There are a few stores carrying them, your local reptile store would have recieved a leaflet through the post from us regarding them.
At the moment you can buy them from my site or from my "sister company" Pollywog Livefoods www.phoenixworm.co.uk
The Phoenixworms are very high in calcium and are great for building up animals and encouraging feeding in difficult species.

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
malvern? blimey your not far from me really hehe...do u have a shop? Would love to come have a nose sometime. :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
Good luck, Nat. I did view but can't really help. All of mine are desert species!
Please post results for these new worms. Sounds a bit too good to be true!
If they are that good though....... :D

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Hi Nat,
We work from a private residence but you are welcome to come round, just give me a bit of notice. We are just round the corner from the Three Counties Showground so very easy to find.
I've been using the Phoenix Worms for quite some time now and all of my animals love them, we've also had very good feedback from lots of customers with a wide range of species taking them. London Zoo are also now using them with their Herps so they must be good.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts