Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, pls help
have 4 Uromastyx geryi and all pretty much stopped eating about 2 weeks ago - then 1 did start again

other three gettin kinda weak and last night one of them died

viv is definatly not too cold
might rather be on the hot side
typically 40 to 45 in day at it's very hottest and 18 20 at night
but they just stay in there hides
and are getting very skinny
last night i gave the 2 weakest some HydraLife
and this morning the weakest was dead

almost seems "it is that time of year to cool down" regardless of actual heat

i am at a loss
i am new to Uro's (and lizards of any kind)
pls help this is heart wrenching for me

Lynx

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
sorry for your loss desert.

are the uros wc or cb??
what are your temps?
any chance of a picture of the remaining uros?
i would personally get them to a vet for a fecal check this to me sounds like an internal parasite problem

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they are CB
and ultra tame and stressless
readily accept handling
they even actully snuggle in to the warmth of hand

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sure
will upload pics shortly
of all 4

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
ok...because they havent been eating there is a chance they could be quite dehydrated as they get thier water from the veg....you could try getting a syringe and giving the remainding uros a drink.i would defo get to a vet tho.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok...because they havent been eating there is a chance they could be quite dehydrated as they get thier water from the veg....you could try getting a syringe and giving the remainding uros a drink.i would defo get to a vet tho.
well as they are babies i did start giving them water as i learned more and sme drank leads 1st time i put it in
mind u
come to think of it that's about the time this all started

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
do they have a water bowl in the viv at all times??
are they sneezing? any mucus coming from the nose?
whats the humidity levels??
was the water treated at all before hand? was the water straight out the tap?
not that this would cause a death but im just thinking maybe an ri caused by too much humidty????

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
do they have a water bowl in the viv at all times??
now Yes but very lil water and shallow - dries out by next day

are they sneezing? NO

any mucus coming from the nose? NONE

whats the humidity levels?? very minimal 30 - 40% (humid side of desert)

was the water treated at all before hand? NO

was the water straight out the tap? um yes gulp ?

not that this would cause a death but im just thinking maybe an ri caused by too much humidty????

def not too much humidity
due to shallow soil they cant dig deep to where they get their normal humidity in wild
thats why i put it in
but it is a few mils of water deep in a small flower pot base 4" in dia
dries up b4 end of day

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
hmmm.
ill take a look at the pics when i get back ok.but while im away i would suggest you make an appointment with your rep vet.

i take it because they havent been eating they havent been defecating either so a fecal sample would be hard to get at the moment.
if there is any poo fresh would be ideal then bag it and take it to the vets with you.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PICS - Last 2 are the same animal

Last two pics are the same animal and is the one that died sniff

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
i replied to your email.cant tell much from the pics except they look a little dehydrated.only thing to do is go see a vet,,,get bloods taken etc just to make sure that whatever it was that killed one isnt contagious.you could a post mortom done on the animal that died this way you will know for sure what is was.good luck and sorry i couldnt help more.a vet visit will give you more answers.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Sorry to hear one of your uros died.

Could it be that they are trying to slow down for the winter, slow thier metabolism down etc but without reducing the temps in the viv they are unable to and this is causing them to lose weight rapidly?

Also, even though im not a big one for thinking a small water bowl can do harm, if you say it evaporates by the next day then it will have increased humidity atleast a bit..
I think 5-10 minutes in a shallow bath might be a better idea for hydrating the remaining uros at this point.

Defo worth booking an apointment with a reptile vet though.

Best of luck.

[by the way, do you have a cool end to your viv? cos you said like 40+ temps which is obviously extremely high for a cool area which would again increase problems for winter slowing down and speed up dehydration ten drastically.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
dean i saw the uros yesterday on web cam they are not brumating.they are dying!!! it made me quite upset seeing them to be honest.i hope desert managed to get to the vets today he was too tired yesterday,.:?
the two i saw yesterday that are dying didnt even have the strength to hold themselves up.looks to me either they have a massive vit A defincency or a parasite problem.the pictures desert has posted are not how they look now.these pictures were taken when the uros were ok.
i told desert yesterday i didnt think they would make it through the night and told him to go to the vet asap.but he had worked a 12 hr shift and needed his bed he did say he was going to try again today.:?

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
oh ok, i was just estimating on the stopping eating, rapid weightloss and under the assumption nothing realyl would have changed in the past few weeks to how they have been all year but indeed as you say if they ar ein abad way then it could be parasites or a deficency.
A vet is a must whatever it is and the only way to be sure.
I hope all yours are doing well weeminx? [all reps not just uros]

Desert lynx
I wish you all the luck at the vets mate.

·
Registered
94 Posts
i dont know much about much about uro's but there is a tonic i supose you could call it called hydro life i think. its by zoo med and is meant to bring animals back from the brink of death and starvation. dont know if it would be suitable but it might be worth looking at.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
that is a good sugestion but these ones i think are past that, the vet will have similar but no doubt stronger methods to help them..diagnosis i think is the most important thing here.

That stuff is awesome though so i have heard, havent used it myself.

·
Registered
94 Posts
a friend got some to use on her chem and i will find out how its helping in a few days. im tempted to get some, just so ive got it on hand.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
hydra life is what desert has been using but to be honest after seeing his uros yesterday i dont think hydra life will do anything.
they need a vet.

dean.....yes all my reps are grand thanks no worrys with any of them.thanks for asking.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts