Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all want your help if thats ok i have hade my boas for about 4/5 mouth now and they eat every week but my female one as stoped eating for some strange reason she 06 so i dont think she cant mate yet i dont no what is up with her i put a heat lamp in the viv thaats all i have changed in the viv she asnt eat for 2 week now is this normal or is there a trip to the vet coming up for her plz help

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Sounds like putting the lamp in the viv has disturbed her? Can she touch the heat lamp, could have a burn? Also check you tenps makes sure they are correct. How long has it stopped eating for? If its just one week I wouldn't worry.....

·
Banned
6,045 Posts
nelly27 said:
she asnt eat for 2 week now
Don't panic is the main thing, is it normally a strike feeder or do you leave the food in overnight? Feed in the viv or in a seperate tub?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya

no she cant touch the lite as it is in a case i made and i put chicken mesh on it so it cant get in it she is a srike eater and it as only been 2 week put she normal eat first strike but shes not even going to strike it i have leavt it in all day up to now 11.41 and she as not eat it yet do they need a heat lamp as well as a heat mat as i read in a book i got out that they need it it vivis 4ft by 2ft by 2ft just in case it has never done this before so just want to no if she will be ok or should i take to the vet she looks happy still moves about i feed her in the viv ands him in an other box

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
hi...

Mmm several things spring to mind here...

do you have a thermostat - (NOT a thermometer) ???

its something that controls the amount of heat given off...

both the heat mat AND the lamp should be connected to one.. long term exposure to temps above 95f (thats about human body temp) will give her brain damage and motability issues.

none of my boas.. (7 at the moment) have heat lamps at all !!

if your female is an 06 baby, then a 4ftx2ftx2ft viv is really too big for her at the moment... my 06 babies are in conticos.. on heat mats.. on thermostats, and do fantastically well. young snakes prefer to feel secure, in the "wild" they would rarely move out of protective cover unless feeding, and even then, 95% of the ground the cover will be full of natural cover, they would very very rarely venture into "open space"

also, it sounds like you have both boas in the same viv? an underage male, can and will rape an underage female yes... it best to keep them solo until they are big enough to breed to be honest. i know breeders who use males from 18 months on.. i know corns who have been gravid at under a year old.. it dangerous for the health of your snake, very dangerous...

young boas can also be cannibals.. so you may find one day, that you only have one fat boa..

not feeding - could be due to it being too hot, could be that she is scared of size of the viv, could be that she is being pestered by the other boa..

it could also be illness, or coming up to shed, but tbh, i think its as likely to be the set up as anything else.. boas do need big vivs yes, but more when they are adults, rather than neonates..

:)

Nerys

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi yes

hi yes they are on a thermostat it is set at 80/85 day and 75/80 night time i no about them eating each other as when i got them and feed them she tryed to eat him after i feed them and before you ask i didnt feed them in the same viv i do have them both in the viv and have be ok since i got them but should i split them up now if so what is the size tank or box should i but them in in my male is in shred at the mo but she looks ok i will leave the heat lamp out for a week as thats the only thing i can think of doing it at the mo and try a gain in a few day to see if she will eat and thanks for te advice will keep use's up to date with how i get on

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi yes

hi yes they are on a thermostat it is set at 80/85 day and 75/80 night time i no about them eating each other as when i got them and feed them she tryed to eat him after i feed them and before you ask i didnt feed them in the same viv i do have them both in the viv and have be ok since i got them but should i split them up now if so what is the size tank or box should i but them in in my male is in shred at the mo but she looks ok i will leave the heat lamp out for a week as thats the only thing i can think of doing it at the mo and try a gain in a few day to see if she will eat and thanks for te advice will keep use's up to date with how i get on

1 - 7 of 7 Posts