Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got sausages viv setup (at last).....just letting the temps set up etc........but when I felt the very bottom of the bulb guard, directly beneath the bulb, it's really really hot! feels like if I kept my hand there a while, then it'd burn! So I'm scared! I do obviously expect that it'd be quite warm right under, but I dont want him to burn! Am I panicking? I've got the thermostat set up etc to the right temps. Please Please let me know if I'm panicking! I want to get him in his viv ASAP so he's not stressed!

Thankyoooo!
xxx

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
As long as there is no way he can hold his body against it there is no problem, so i suspect as it is on the bottom of the cage he will be fine in there.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's the bottom of the bulb guard that's hot, so surely he could wrap himself round it?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmmmm, I'm going to sound like a spazz now, but I don't know what make the guard is! It's a black metal one. When I said to the guy *will that get hot with it being metal?* he said *no, it should only get warm*........but as said, I think it's pretty hot. I turned the thermostat down a bit, I really don't want him to burn!!
Realistically, I can't go out and buy another bulb guard, becuase no where is open. The guy's given me his number and said *any problems at all, give me a ring*, so if pushed I could get him to get me one from the shop. But surely the setup should be ok as it is?It all fits to all the caresheets etc that i've read. It's literally only the heat of the bulb guard I'm worried about at the mo!

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
you are absolutely true,metal bulb guards are crap as long as they are heat conductors,hot enough to inflict severe burns to your snake.ceramic heaters,as they don't emit any light,are even worse for this,this was proven to be a direct correlation between light emission and heat as light is a warning for the snake something may be too hot for him to lay on.

What you could do,waiting for a better solution when shops are opened again is place your hot spot bulb outside the viv and if the heating is unsufficient,adjust it with your thermostat.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is there no other way of doing it? If I were to try and fit a piece of bark on the bottom of the guard for now? Or would that be a huuuuuuge fire hazard? Thankyou so much for this! Just so ya know, I did ask the guy whether it would heat up (makes sense, metal=conductor), but he said it'd just get warm.
thanks.x

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Depending on the power of your bulb,yes,putting some flamable materials like bark would make it likely to set afire.I would run no risk then.What sort of snake do you keep in that viv?If it's a corn or royal,a few °F under the normal hot spot values for 2 or 3 days won't really be a problem to worry about. :wink:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yup it's my new royal! I got him today so doing the good old *let's have a panic because I've never had a royal and want to get everything right*
I'm too nervous to get excited yet! I was uber giddy in the shop...I have to say, he is such a beauty!!!! I'll get some pics of him and his viv for tomorrow.
I know I won't sleep AT ALL tonight from worrying! The thought of him getting burnt is my worst nightmare ever!!!
The ceramic bulb I'm using is 100W, and is set to a pulse stat, which is set for 30 degrees Celsius for daytime(in the warm end) with a slight drop at nightime.
I've checked temps, and that the stat is working (obviously) before I put him in. Like I said, I'm probably worrying too much, but I'd rather be safe than sorry!
SOOO......If I drop the temp very slightly, it's unlikely he'll get burns? Just til I get a new guard?
xx You're a star!

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Yes,if you keep the warm end during the day under 85°F,I think there will be no problems-but i definitely wouldn't recommend these ceramic heaters,i have seen several severe burns with those on small or large snakes,from corn snakes to GTP.If I were you,I would throw it all away and buy an incandescent spotlight instead,with one of the system i put above (see both links) as guards.another solution would be to build a sort of "box" which would contain the heating,with holes small enough not to get the snake inside,made out of thick wood,for example.Am I all clear ?(i will never repeat often enough English is not my native language :oops: )

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I get what you mean. Just to box it in with a wooden surround, maybe made of MDF wood?
Eeeh, well I'm off to bed now (have to be up in 6 hours for work).....I'll wake up anyways to check his temps, and my sister will be checking on him throughout tomorrow while I'm at work.
Thanks for your help! I'll get some pics up tomorrow evening!
xx

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
thorrshamri said:
i definitely wouldn't recommend these ceramic heaters,i have seen several severe burns with those on small or large snakes,from corn snakes to GTP.If I were you,I would throw it all away and buy an incandescent spotlight instead
I personally think that ceramics are far superior to spot lamps for any snake, royals especially as they are nocturnal (I'm one of the many who believe that snakes CAN see red light).
Also, ceramics on the whole will last a lot longer than incandescent bulbs.

As for guards - providing there is sufficient space between the ceramic and the guard, there should be no problem with the guard becoming hot.

When this problem comes up it's usually because a standard spot bulb guard has been used which is too small.

For, say, a 100w ceramic, you need at least 2" between the bottom of the ceramic and the bottom of the guard, and around 1.5" clearance on all sides.
Maybe something like this:
http://www.livefoods.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=521

As for the two sieves stuck together idea - I hope that was a joke??? :shock:

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Did you look at the link Mark? The seives looked quite effective, particularly for smaller reps that can get through the mesh squares of traditional guards

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I did look at it - but no way would I put a guard made from a pair of stuck-together sieves in with any snake, especially one with a fair amount of weight/strength such as a royal (which was the snake in question here).

I take your point, but in that situation surely a regular-type bulb guard, modified with some fine mesh would be the logical solution for smaller reps?
Also, the double-sieve thingy is going to get roasting hot on it's upper surface.

It just wasn't the type of thing I'd have any confidence in I'm afraid :D

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
i changed my royals cage to a ceramic with a guard a couple of months ago. i was concerned about the bottom of the guard being to hot but my royal has been fine. just make sure you fix the guard to the roof of the viv well away from all the walls so it can't wedge itself in. i've never seen my royal wrap round the guard.
i also have a boa with the same set up but the guard is much lower to the floor of the viv. i've had no problems with this either. it'll be fine

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yup! Thanks for all your advise! He's still settling in, but seems to favour lying under the hide under his heat bulb. He did a MASSIVE poo today, which is a good sign he's doing well! I'm looking forward to feeding, I think that'll really show how well he's doing!
When he has been active, he hasnt really climbed around the guard. The thermostat's working really well too!

Do my temps sound right then? The guy in the shop said around 90-95 degrees F(warm end), But I've been having it around 32/33 degrees Celsius, after reading a few different care sheets recommending this.
Also, I spray the viv lightly once a week don't I? and when he's in shed I spray it quite heavily, more often? The guy in the shop said the viv glass should look steamed when he's in shed. Is all this correct? I know to read care sheets (and have read many!) but it's so different reading about something and doing it hands on!
hehe, believe it or not, I'm panicking less now!

Thanks again! :D

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I wouldn't have thought it necessary to keep it quite that high - 90F or so should be fine at the warmest.
The caresheets I've seen say anything form 70F-85F to 82-95F, but bearing in mind that they spend most of the daylight hours underground in the wild, they'd not experience temps of over 90F too often.

I have mine at 86-88F warm end and no lower than 75F at the cool end.

But if you have any feeding problems, try increasing/decreasing the temps - makes a difference wth my one sometimes.

Best to take the temp inside the hides if you can, as that's where it'll spend most of it's time. Depending on the type of hide, the temp inside can be several degrees lower than outside in the viv.

I keep the humidity around 60%, so not much higher than normal for this country - I don't mist at all, just have a large-ish water bowl in there.
They come from fairly dry, grassland areas so you don't need sky-high humidity.

But when shedding I do give mine a humid hide - just a large lunchbox with an entrance hole in the side and a few vent holes melted/drilled as well, with damp sphagnum moss. You could use damp kitchen towels instead, but whatever you put in there, keep an eye out for mould.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cool. I'm going to get him some moss next week to put under his hides. I'm using 2 biiiig pieces of bark for hides (dont worry they didnt come from evil wood!)
I wish I had more time off work! I rushed to B&Q after I finished to find they didnt sell the bits and bats I wanted!
I'm going to get to Maplins tomorrow to get a couple of digital thermometers for Mr Happy's grown up viv!
My mind will be at ease once Sausage has his first feed I reckon!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts