Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have just came home to find my GALs and roaches tanks are crawling with ants. I have moved all the inhabitants into other temporary houses and moved the infested tanks into the garden for a good clean tomorrow, but I need a safe way to make sure they dont come back.

Can anyone suggest a pet safe (including GALs and roaches) ant solution? Would diatomaceous earth sprinkled around the edges of the doorway to the room where they are coming in work?

I really need help, as they have clearly bitten my GALs and I dont want to risk them getting hurt.

Thank you in advance,

>^..^< Elizabeth

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
I've never had this problem thank god but i'd say the first thing to do is completely blitz the tanks then seal them up so no more ants can get into them before you put down any baits or the earth to make sure the snails are safe from further bites or being effected by anything you use. I'm not sure what type of lid you have but if its very closely fitted taping clingfilm over it so you can still remove it regularly for fresh air but all the gaps are sealed off from the blighters might work?

Vaseline around the outside of the tanks in a ring or the furniture the tanks standing on to help stop them getting up to the tank, while messy, might also help. Its used to stop roaches and things escaping in the tank so if used right it should act to stop ants getting in.

Cornmeal can also be used (not in the tanks), ants can't digest it so it will kill them without using chemicals that would waft around and harm your animals.

A lot of these ideas have been used by other keepers with success in the past. Get Rid of Ants Naturally - wikiHow

I'd also give the snails a gentle bath and check for any ants that are on them, it will help soothe any bites as well.

Reactions: LizardFTI

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My house was full of ant i mean full they did not get in my ts because they are covered in womans tights all my set ups are covered. I got the ant traps that got rid of the ants
The problem I have is that I also have a cat and he insists on exploring everything. Do you know if there are cat safe ant traps?

What are they anyway? Flypaper?

·
Registered
566 Posts
The problem I have is that I also have a cat and he insists on exploring everything. Do you know if there are cat safe ant traps?

What are they anyway? Flypaper?
Most ant traps are like roach motels: a little disk with holes on the side and poison inside. If you're worried about your cat mucking with them, I'd suggest using blu-tack, doublesided tape or something else to stick them in place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.