Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my terrapins up for sale due to lack off room but im gonna order a big tub an put it in my garden but they would need to be out all year round any advice on how to do this would be brilliant. Its 4 yellow sliders an the biggest is 6inch an smallest is 3inch I have had them since babys an they had water heater butt I took it mutter about 2weeks ago an the temp is still 25 so its not bad but please help

·
Super Moderator
16,939 Posts
Good idea - but it does need to be deep enough, having a good filter (which you can build yourself) and a sunk in one for warmth, or else some sort of insulation/cladding is required. If you use the search facility on here you should find several posts on outdoor ponds. There has also been an article by Rom (username Romski on here) in PRK magazine, I think it was last month.

If they are overwintered they need to be a good healthy weight and in excellent condition to survive. We bring ours in from October onwards - often earlier overnight - not because they are unhealthy, but purely for peace of mind, and are now building a large indoor pond as opposed to their separate plastic tubs.

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
I would use an outdoor filter, and you might need to turn it off in winter otherwise it could make the temp drop too far at the bottom, I would ask Romski's advice on this as he probably has more experience in this particular field than anyone in the UK.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.