Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,677 Posts
Hi, believe we were just chatting on preloved? ;)

Males will have a large tail, almost the length of a rear leg, will a large bulge at the base.

Females will have a short stumpy tail that will not extend much beyond the edge of the shell.

Male

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, believe we were just chatting on preloved? ;)

Males will have a large tail, almost the length of a rear leg, will a large bulge at the base.

Females will have a short stumpy tail that will not extend much beyond the edge of the shell.

Male

Haha hi again, so there's a noticeable difference?
mine are pretty much the same but wont be able to tell properly till i get back and have a look...Also is it possible to estimate there age?

·
Premium Member
4,677 Posts
Yes, there is a noticeable difference between sexes (only once mature though)

It's not really possible to visually estimate the age of a turtle once they hit adult size.

My adult male above has to be 10-15 years of age (and that may be a conservative estimate!). He has lost all the patternation on his shell and is just over 6inches carapace length.

If yours are 5 inch carapace length and still have distinct shell patternation you can assume they are young adults and you should be able to sex them quite easily at that size too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.