Reptile Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all

Apologies in advance for long post but really would appreciate it if any of you experienced keepers have the time to read and respond.

Three weeks ago I left a deposit on a pair of Yellow Geyri Uro's with a private seller. 10-12 months old. As I was due to go away on holiday I asked if they would keep them until I returned which they agreed to do. I returned from holiday on Sunday and went to colelct them as agreed.

On my way to pick them up the owner text to say that his brother had cleaned out the viv and put the liards on the settee (clever I know!!), he hadn't checked that the door to the living room was closed and one of the dogs got in an went for the lizards resulting in the female being killed!

As I was on my way anyway I decided to continue and he explained what had happened. I checked the male over and there were no visable marks on him. The owner assured me he was OK and the dog hadn't touched him so I decided to purchase the male on his own.

We took him own and put him in his new set up and allowed him to settle in for a few hours. I made regular checks on him but he stayed in the exact same place that I had put him in the Viv. He was breathing regularly and if you touched him he did move a little but made no attempt to run away (then again he didn't when I first went to see them and left the deposit, very tame).

The previous owner only fed bird seed and water (he said his are funny and don't eat veg! not sure how much of the right care these little guys were actually getting) I put in a good mixed salad in along with some bird seed and the T-Rex Caci/multim vitamin for uromastyx.

I couldn't get him interested in any of the food yesterday and was worried that he might also be dehydrated. Managed to get him to lick drips from my fingers last night and again this morning and he has taken a tiny shred of carrot and a couple of seeds last night and again this morning. But thats it. I've left him on the slate under the heat lamp again today but he's still made no attempt to hide away or move to somewhere else .

I'm just worried sick that he's in shock, let's face it he had a pretty traumatic day yesterday!

Just wondering what else I should try, if anything, or should I just leave him alone and keep changing the food until he decides to try something?

Is there anything else I can do?

How long should I give him before I take him to a rep vet?

I feel so sorry for him he seems so good natured, really don't want to lose him and want to do the right thing so any advice would be much appreciated. :(

Thanks in advance.

WEZ

·
Registered
553 Posts
How long have you had him?

He's been transported and put into a completely new environment.

My beardies and leos didn't touch any food at all for nearly a week when I bought them and they seemed very unsure of their new vivs. Now they all eat like pigs and are very active.

The best advice I could give you is if you've only had him a few days then leave him alone! Just go in his viv to spot clean any poo, change his food and water bowl. I wouldn't go moving him etc... If there is still no interest in food or little activity after a week then I would get him checked out.

A poo test wouldn't hurt anyway by the way! The vet can do this or you can find a place online that does it (sorry I don't know of one off the top of my head).

Hope this helps!

In short don't constantly nag him, let him settle in first.

:2thumb:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Hi Jon

Thanks for your advice. We only collected him yesterday but I just expected him to run off and hide. As he didn't and he just appears to have slept in the same place I put him, I've been worried. If he'd have gone in and run off I wouldn't have been bothered, it's more the stress and trauma of what happened yesterday along with settling into a new home that bothered me.

I'll give him a few days and try to stop being too much of a mother hen!

Cheers :2thumb:

W.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts