Reptile Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm so worried for my baby bci, she's around 9 months old and she hasn't grown since I got her last December. We've battled through a severe case of snake mites which we presume she came with.. and we didn't spot them for a couple of months and I have no idea how! I feel so awful and terrible that I didn't catch on quicker. She has only been free of them for a month or so now, but she doesn't seem to be recovering like I'd hoped she would. Her skin is very wrinkled and she seems to constantly have stuck shed and she's extremely underweight due to her refusing food, she doesn't eat regularly at all. I'm very scared at the moment because she's not active and she looks really bad and I don't know how to help or what to do because she will not eat for me. I love her to bits and I want to help her get through this as fast as possible so she doesn't have to suffer any more it's killing me seeing like this. If anyone has any advice at all I would really appreciate it!! thanks so much for reading. I'm absolutely devastated that my poor little noodle has to go through this. I have been doing my own research and over the last few months I've tried a variety of different feeding methods but she never gets into a good feeding schedule, usually she'll eat and then go off food for weeks at a time and scare me to death because she' so skinny and fragile and she can't afford to do that kind of thing...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We were just discussing taking her to either an experienced reptile shop that are great for giving advice and helping people out that we go too (the owner was the chairman of Ireland's herpetology society so he's very knowledgeable and all the staff either keep or breed a variety of different reptiles) or our exotic vet, so we will probably do one of the two as soon as possible.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Personallly I would be taking her to the vet. As knowledgable as the gentleman is, he still isn't a trained and qualified vet. imo there's a reason she's not eating and from my own exprience my boas have all been like never ending black holes and will eat and eat and eat. It's better to be safe than sorry and you may end up speaking to the pet shop and getting incorrect advice. fingers crossed it isn't but if it is serious the sooner you get here treatment the better her chance of survival.
As I say that is just personally what I would do but not everyone will agree I'm sure.
:)

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
best advice - take it to a vet. No point in taking it to the chairman of a society, he won't be able to prescribe medication if needed

To upload pictures, either add them to an album under your user control panel, and then copy the URL into a post via the image button, or upload to a third party hosting site and copy the URL from there.

If you are using an app on the phone, then attaching images can be done through that.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Vet vet vet. Skinny wrinkly and stuck sheds is a problem that has taken months to develop. If she is barely moving then it may be too late, a vet may be able to tube feed her as she is probably too week to take a meal unassisted. If this doesn't shock the system she may bounce back.

I'm guessing there are some issues with the husbandry if she has never really done very well.

Do you have many other snakes? Mites on one snake without any others should be really easily sorted.

Get her to the vet, good luck. Fingers crossed she pulls through

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone for the advice! I'll be taking her to our vet as soon as we can get there, hopefully tomorrow or latest would be Monday. I have one other snake, she's a ball python. she ended up with the mites as well but it didn't affect her as much, she's been a great eater and shedding fine, normal activity etc. Yes, she hasn't done well for a good few months and I've been struggling with her pretty much since I got her, trying to get her eating/her weight up, getting her sheds better, fixing the mites which seemed to keep coming back. I just moved her into a two foot wooden viv last night to see if she would prefer that as the three walls and roof are wooden so she'll feel more secure, as she had been kept in a quarantine faunararium while she was ill. She's been much more active than usual and when I offered a pinky today she seemed to have a bit more interest than usual, but then she went back to her hide so I let her be. I'll try upload the pictures now!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ugh I feel so terrible. she looks so bad and its my fault for not taking her to the vet sooner, I honestly thought once I got rid of the mites she'd start eating and getting better so I put all my effort into getting rid of the mites. (while still regularly offering food which she'd sometimes accept, of course) :(

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Thank you everyone for the advice! I'll be taking her to our vet as soon as we can get there, hopefully tomorrow or latest would be Monday. I have one other snake, she's a ball python. she ended up with the mites as well but it didn't affect her as much, she's been a great eater and shedding fine, normal activity etc. Yes, she hasn't done well for a good few months and I've been struggling with her pretty much since I got her, trying to get her eating/her weight up, getting her sheds better, fixing the mites which seemed to keep coming back. I just moved her into a two foot wooden viv last night to see if she would prefer that as the three walls and roof are wooden so she'll feel more secure, as she had been kept in a quarantine faunararium while she was ill. She's been much more active than usual and when I offered a pinky today she seemed to have a bit more interest than usual, but then she went back to her hide so I let her be. I'll try upload the pictures now!
A pinkie for a royal??
I'm sorry to sound harsh but I really think these snakes will be better off with someone else.
Mites are easy to clear, I cannot fathom how it could have got so bad that the boa looks how it does. Same problem, different snakes. Bad sheds, mites, not eating.
Rehome them ASAP with someone who knows how to keep them properly.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
A pinkie for a royal??
I'm sorry to sound harsh but I really think these snakes will be better off with someone else.
Mites are easy to clear, I cannot fathom how it could have got so bad that the boa looks how it does. Same problem, different snakes. Bad sheds, mites, not eating.
Rehome them ASAP with someone who knows how to keep them properly.
I sorry to say I have to agree with Ian. Given that these snakes are two of the more popular snakes kept in captivity, with hundreds of care sheets, video's and books on how to keep them there really is no excuse for poor husbandry and care. Even a hatchling royal would take something more substantial than pinks.

Whilst I respect that you are trying to do the right thing in looking after these two snakes I echo Ian's comments regarding giving them to someone with more experience who might be able to give the snakes a fighting chance

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I offered the pinky to the baby boa, because she's not eating I've been offering smaller prey to make it easier, the last few weeks. befor ethat she was on large fuzzies, and just about to move up. My ball python is a healthy weight (she has been on her yearly vet check up and given the all clear, we only got her mid july last year) and she's about a year and a half and eating rats.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I offered the pinky to the baby boa, because she's not eating I've been offering smaller prey to make it easier, the last few weeks. befor ethat she was on large fuzzies, and just about to move up. My ball python is a healthy weight (she has been on her yearly vet check up and given the all clear, we only got her mid july last year) and she's about a year and a half and eating rats.
Your post referred to your royal and feeding a pink.
But the same goes for the boa. Even as a newborn, a pink is simply not enough, nor is a fuzzie. If this is what you are feeding then it's no surprise its struggling

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Your post referred to your royal and feeding a pink.
But the same goes for the boa. Even as a newborn, a pink is simply not enough, nor is a fuzzie. If this is what you are feeding then it's no surprise its struggling
Sorry to say that it would appear the OP has either not done enough research,or simply has no idea on how to keep said species. :banghead:

·
Registered
46 Posts
First off let me say that I have never kept any snakes and am in no way an expert on them. To me she sounds dehydrated. The stuck shed is a sign of improper humidity. I would also suggest going to a vet. The mites could come back if you use the same equipment that you did when the mites were there. Change the substrate and clean everything. That should could help with the mites.

https://youtu.be/bACJQZG4b40

That's a care video for BCI. I also recommend seeing a vet. She also sounds malnourished (in my UNprofessional opinion). Hope this helps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.