Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this baby corn snake from a PetSmart four weeks ago. He has not shed. He has eaten four times. His skin has started looking like this though.

I've cleaned his tank. His substrate is changed weekly.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
Another newbie post asking for advice, but doesn't state what method of heating is used, the equipment used (thermostats ?) and what the hot and cold temperatures are (ideally read via a heat gun and not zoo med gauges).

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
From the pics (which aren't too clear) I would say its a physical injury
Could be, guess we'll never know as it looks to be another of those one time newbie posts to keep the stakeholders happy :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another newbie post asking for advice, but doesn't state what method of heating is used, the equipment used (thermostats ?) and what the hot and cold temperatures are (ideally read via a heat gun and not zoo med gauges).
Wow you guys are a bit harsh about newbies. I'm literally just concerned about my snake. :(

I had a ceramic bulb before but it felt like it was too hot ... I just changed it to a halogen bulb, the one I got on Amazon is 100W incandescent daylight bulb.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have a temperature gun but if I need to get one I can buy one instead, the pet store was using the Zoo Med gauge inside the tank so I thought that was okay

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From the pics (which aren't too clear) I would say its a physical injury
Sorry I tried to get as clear of a picture as I could but he's very small. I don't know how he could have physically injured himself unless he rubbed up against something in the tank. Is that possible?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh i also have the heating pad that came with the zilla 20L starter kit

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
Oh i also have the heating pad that came with the zilla 20L starter kit
Theres your problem.
You don't need both.
A couple of things. 1) is the pad controlled by a thermostat?
2) is the bulb guarded?
With the mat, just get rid of it. Provide 12 to 14 hours of heat via the bulb, and have it switched off overnight. Corns are not tropical, they experience day and night temperature changes.
Either your corn has burnt itself on the bulb, or the mat.
Your best option is to visit a reptile vet.
And remove the mat, and guard the bulb.

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
@Lpaff My apologies - but this forum gets a lot of new members that post similar topics and disappear since the forum was revamped a while back -

Ian has given some good advice. It would seem your setup is wrong and as a result the snake has suffered a burn of some degree. Only a vet can determine the severity of the injury and what treatment is required. You will also need to sort out the heating in the enclosure. There are several sticky posts at the top of the snake section on heating and a guide to cornsnakes, worth a read. All heat sources need to be thermostatically controlled and where lamps or ceramics are concerned, adequately protected to prevent the snake coming into contact with the element

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Theres your problem.
You don't need both.
A couple of things. 1) is the pad controlled by a thermostat?
2) is the bulb guarded?
With the mat, just get rid of it. Provide 12 to 14 hours of heat via the bulb, and have it switched off overnight. Corns are not tropical, they experience day and night temperature changes.
Either your corn has burnt itself on the bulb, or the mat.
Your best option is to visit a reptile vet.
And remove the mat, and guard the bulb.
I'll take him to a reptile vet ASAP!!! thank you so much. I feel so bad that I hurt him. I'll remove the mat. The bulb is guarded by the wire lid of the enclosure. Is that what you mean?. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
I'll take him to a reptile vet ASAP!!! thank you so much. I feel so bad that I hurt him. I'll remove the mat. The bulb is guarded by the wire lid of the enclosure. Is that what you mean?. Thank you for your help.
As long as there is a barrier between the bulb and snake then yes.
Unfortunately it sounds like you have been missold some of the kit, specifically the heat mat. It's not needed. They also have to be controlled by a thermostat, as uncontrolled they can reach searing temperatures.
Hopefully this will turn out OK after a vet visit.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Definitely get him to a vet fast, it's a large amount of skin damage on such a small snake.
We only ever use uva/uvb bulbs in our corn vivs, but not sure how well that works in a glass tank. We don't heat at all during the night. 14 hrs on, 10 hrs off. Most houses these days are more than warm enough for the night for corns in the UK.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
EVERYONE THANK YOU!!!! the vet prescribed a silver ointment. He shed this morning. It came off in one piece and the damaged skin is gone. He looks beautiful. He's eating and drinking! He seems fine!

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
EVERYONE THANK YOU!!!! the vet prescribed a silver ointment. He shed this morning. It came off in one piece and the damaged skin is gone. He looks beautiful. He's eating and drinking! He seems fine!
That's good news... I hope you have also taken on board the comments regarding the set up and made the required changes to is vivarium and your husbandry methods ? We wouldn't want to hear that he has injured himself again

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's good news... I hope you have also taken on board the comments regarding the set up and made the required changes to is vivarium and your husbandry methods ? We wouldn't want to hear that he has injured himself again
Yes. The bulb is guarded, it's on an automatic timer so it's not on all day (14 on 10 off), I removed the heat mat, and I bought a temperature gun and remove the sticky gauge that was on the inside

1 - 20 of 24 Posts