Reptile Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Yes. The bulb is guarded, it's on an automatic timer so it's not on all day (14 on 10 off), I removed the heat mat, and I bought a temperature gun and remove the sticky gauge that was on the inside
You're missing one thing... the thermostat... the bulb needs to be controlled by a dimmer type thermostat... this way you'll have control over the hot spot when the lamp is on. Easy way is to plug the timer into the mains, then the thermostat into the timers output, and then the lamp into the thermostat. The light will come on at full power for the initial minute or two, and then dim until the temperature stabilises. Use the temperature gun to set the hot spot rather than the dial on the thermostat itself

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
You're missing one thing... the thermostat... the bulb needs to be controlled by a dimmer type thermostat... this way you'll have control over the hot spot when the lamp is on. Easy way is to plug the timer into the mains, then the thermostat into the timers output, and then the lamp into the thermostat. The light will come on at full power for the initial minute or two, and then dim until the temperature stabilises. Use the temperature gun to set the hot spot rather than the dial on the thermostat itself
Do you have one you can recommend?

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
It's hard to recommend a make of thermostat as brands here in the UK may not be available in the US. Give your nearest reptile retailer a call, and juts ask for a quality diming thermostat. Here in the UK Habitat are a brand that a lot of people use, with some favouring Microclimate brand. I know there are some brands available in the US that are not available here (due to the strict EU safety standard rules) so you may find a brand that we are not familiar with

21 - 25 of 25 Posts