21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hubby seen a 4-5ft snake in our garden it was brown with cream stripes

does anyone know what kind of snake it is, and more important is it poisonus

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you so much for replying, he says it was similar but thinks the cream stripes looked a little thinner than the picture and they were on the head of the snake as well

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the second photo is not like it

he says it was definatly stripes

what kind of snake has stripes, do you think it is someones pet?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
were are you posiosion england?
dan

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CATCH IT lol, the snake went one way and hubby ran the other
(quicker than a champion sprinter)

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
If it has stripes around it's body it would most likely be a colubrid-- maybe a king, rat or corn snake, and it was probaby someone's beloved pet-- snakes are very intelligent and investigative creatures and are notorious for escaping! These species hail from America and shoud do well in our hot summers, not sure about over winter though. Oh-- and the are definitely not dangerous!! :D

·
Registered
543 Posts
Go hunting for it lilly, look under logs, rocks or any hiding place. I'm sure it's owner would love to have it back. It is probably scared whitless at the mo, poor thing.

Duzzie

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
And for reference, here's Britain's native snakes:

Adder (this is venomous so be careful if it's one of these!)

Grass snake

Smooth snake

And our legless lizard, the slow worm

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CyberFae thanks for telling me that my granchildren and dogs play in the garden every day

we dont know anything about snakes, but we are animal lovers, would someone who lost a snake report it to the police like you do with a dog

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
If you do decide to look for it and want to pick it up, you should wear gardening gloves (they do bite out of self defense and, although not dangerous, can be a right pain to get off!)

However if you cannot 100% ID the snake I would not attempt to pick it up, as there is alwas that tiny chance. It's probably on the hunt right now- this is the best time of night to find the rodents (sometimes birds and amphibians) the feed on.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I agree with CyberFae, accept i would wear and longsleeved jumper and gardening gloves and bring a empty pillow case, then when you see the snake you can put it in the pillow case and tie it closed, if you see the snake, grasp it, in the centre of its body and put it in the pillow case :D
Let us know how you get on :thumb:

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
In all likeliness they would not have reported it. If you can't find an escapee in your house it's pretty much gone forever! It may still be worth putting up posters in the local area and checking with the police though.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
If the snake gets into an S shape on the top half of its body it means its going to strike.. but I really wouldn't wrry too much as a colubrid that size can't do much damage.. and won't get through gardening gloves.. pick it up from behind the head and your other hand half way down its body to support it.. put it in a tub in a warm area so it doesn't get too cold.. if you can then get a picture of it we could tell you exactly what it is and whether to release it or try and find the owner.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok I have found the snake in the same place as yesterday it seems thin looking unless it's a baby, and does look like the first picture, I can't bring myself to go near it

I have phoned the rspca and all I got was a recorded message saying we do have snakes in this country and they are protected, what do I do now

is there anyone on this site who lives near me?

·
Registered
606 Posts
it'll be an escaped pet.

is there a local reptile shop or pet shop that sells reptile's near you??? if so give them a phone and ask if they'd be able to come and remove it.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Well i would come if I lived closer.. but Lancashire is quite far :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 122 Posts