Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically i have been asked to look after a sulcata tortoise that is in a bad way.

it is around 2 months old i have one of its siblings that is dwarfing it now.

but its shell is still soft and barly has a growth ring, could this be a lack of calcium in its diet?

also it seems very reluctant to feed and very weak.

is there much that can be done? i cant even open its mouth to feed it!

·
Banned
483 Posts
Basically i have been asked to look after a sulcata tortoise that is in a bad way.

it is around 2 months old i have one of its siblings that is dwarfing it now.

but its shell is still soft and barly has a growth ring, could this be a lack of calcium in its diet?

also it seems very reluctant to feed and very weak.

is there much that can be done? i cant even open its mouth to feed it!
Obviously not good news if it has not been treated the same as yours. Sounds like either lack of uvb, D3 or both, otherwise hatchlings failure syndrome. It need a vets appt urgently either way for X-rays to determine bone density.You could try a solution of critical care formula first to bathe it in, but make the appt ASAP for the tortoises sake.Good luck

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Obviously not good news if it has not been treated the same as yours. Sounds like either lack of uvb, D3 or both, otherwise hatchlings failure syndrome. It need a vets appt urgently either way for X-rays to determine bone density.You could try a solution of critical care formula first to bathe it in, but make the appt ASAP for the tortoises sake.Good luck
i think i may be hatchlings failure syndrome as it have been kept in the same set up as mine.

but i think it may be past the hands of help, but there are miricales

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
Ahhh poo - poor little chappy doesn't sound very well at all. Good luck with the vets and let us know how you get on wont you

·
Banned
483 Posts
i shall doooooooooooooooooooo
Sometimes no matter how much calcium you give them they fail to utilise it. Only you and the owner knows if it is poor husnandry or not, so take action either way. Are the uvb lamps up to date, as in tubes should be replaced in 6 months even if still lighting?

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sometimes no matter how much calcium you give them they fail to utilise it. Only you and the owner knows if it is poor husnandry or not, so take action either way. Are the uvb lamps up to date, as in tubes should be replaced in 6 months even if still lighting?

husbandry is top notch nothing to do with the uv as it is brand new

·
Banned
483 Posts
husbandry is top notch nothing to do with the uv as it is brand new
Sounds like it is failing to thrive but it still needa a vet as I have seen tortoises with this problem literally turn to jelly and yet still alive, very painful and very distressing to see. A vet will xray to see if there is anything else obvious. How is hydration?

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
Was wondering how the little guy is - what did the vet say and is the torty gonna be okay?

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just hatchling syndrome

but fortunatly i have got to start eating and drinking so hope is on the rise.

it put on 3 grams as well :2thumb:

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
Aww poor little mite! Did the vet give you anything for him - vitamin injection or anything to help build him up a bit? So how would the ittle one have got this syndrom then - is it 'caused' by something or an illness they are born with?

Sorry for all the question - am just interested as I've never heard of it?

Am glad the little ones put on a wee bit - hopefully he's turned a bit of a corner : victory:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts