Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
oh gosh hurry pppl

all i can think of is get it in the water

then after its soaked a bit chuck on some oil [olive/veg/sunflower] and get it right in there before submersing the snake again

·
Registered
52,162 Posts
hey there, never been in this position myself but if i was u id get her into a luke warm bath until we think of something else, sorry its all i got but im trying DONT PULL IT OFF YET

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
why???

·
Registered
30 Posts
The same thing happened me. What i did was cut as much of the tape off without cutting the snake. Then bath him in luke warm water to see if it will get it off. Then try the oil i guess.

How sticky is the tape.

·
Registered
52,162 Posts
oil will drown the snake, many snakes have been killed this way in the r
treatment of mites

·
Creator of RFUK - Now Retired.
12,466 Posts
Not sure what else you could try... ofcourse the trick would be to be taking the tape off after/while soaking.. not waiting for it to dry.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Depending on how badly stuck it is I would just put some water on it to sofften it up and whilst still wet gently and carefully peel it away. You may do a little damage to the scales but this should repair itself in the next shed cycle.

I had this happen when a hatchling pine snake managed to get into a box covered in packing tape (his faunarium lid was faullty). It was slow, hard work but I got all the tape off him and he made a full recovery in his next shed. I
f you'd seen him when I found him you wouldnt have expected him to survive it was that bad, Im sure your little one will be ine.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
ah i dunno, it may stop the shed comin g along properly...

is fairy liquid a btter choice than oil do u reckon?

·
Registered
52,162 Posts
hey dnt think any thick liquid is a gd idea, but unfortunately i dont realy know what is a good idea

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
There is a product called Zoff which you can get from the chemist. They are like wet wipes but designed to remove the glue left by plasters on human skin.

I haven't used them on snakes, so you would need to use caution in case of a reaction but they are used to remove the sticky tape ID numbers put on tortoises shells when importing them through customs without any side effects.

Hope this helps
Natrix

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Oh no if it was me i'd the warm water thing like everyone has said but i'm not sure what else you can/could do :( poor thing is he/she ok i mean apart from prob being really pi**ed off, i feel real bad cos i've got corn snakes and i don't know what to do :bash:

Hope you get it off

Sam

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
update:
i've got as much off as i can, its all away from her eyes before it got chance to stick there, its mostly under her chin and the side of her head now. her mouth can fully open now (cos she bit me!)
i can't get any more off her without pulling any skin off her, which i obviously dont want to do.
she's in a small 'de-stressing' box with plenty of kitchen roll to hide in, so hopefully she will calm down a bit.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
I would possibly try a thinning solution (ie alcohol) on a cotton bud.

Wipe into/under the tape with the alcohol soaked cotton bud.

Water will only work if it is hot or if the glue is water based (which most packing tape isn't)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts