Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, two years ago we were hiking in Namibia (Olive trail) which is here :

olive trail.PNG

During the walk, my girlfriend almost walk on a snake that was warming on rocks.. He straigthen himself ready to bite her when I yelled at her "SNAKE!" and then she ran away as the snake in another direction.
I had the chance to took a picture of him because he passed in front of me in water.

20190413_000124.jpg

I should precise that it looked like a cobra because of the enlargment of his neck when he defended himself but I would loved to put a name on his specific species :)
Can someone help me identifiying him please ?

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its not a positive id but it could very well be a Naja nigricincta (aka Zebra cobra; or Zebra spitting cobra) hope that helps a little bit but that is the closet thing I can think of that is close to the picture

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your answer @Mindlesshunter97 !

However I still have a doubt about the species because the snake that we crossed did not have so many stripes as a zebra cobra (found some pictures on the web to compare)... I got a second picture if that can help to refine the ID. He seems to have a lighter head than his body.

Water Bedrock Natural landscape Fluvial landforms of streams Bank

1 - 3 of 3 Posts