Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have two yellow bellied slider turtles, both 1 year old. Recently this white substance has appeared in their tank. When the water evaporates it appears on the fake plant and roots. To begin with I wondered if it was salt and when I topped the water back up it dissappeared. However, now it stays and I'm not sure what it is. I asked at my local aquarium stockist, they sell fish and turtles, etc. but they didnt seem to have any idea, I dont think they are trained to deal with these questions and are just sales staff. I took a picture before topping the water up this time, if any of you can take a look and please help I would be very grateful. I do not want this to be harmful to my turtles.

Thank you, Rae

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
Is it maybe deposits from the water? Do you use a water conditioner?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. I use Tetra AquaSafe when putting water in the tank. Is there anything else I should use?

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
I've never tried that one. I use Zoomed Reptisafe, but I guess all tap water conditioners should remove the nasty stuff. I'm not sure what it is, I'm afraid. Maybe someone else who has had this will come on soon and be more helpful than me!

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
It looks like mineral deposits from hard water, additives won't remove this.

Why are you allowing the water to evaporate? When the water volume is reduced all the toxins, minerals etc... are still there, but in a more concentrated form.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The water level drops slightly after a week so i do a partial change and bring it back up, it drops by 1cm depth max.

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
It looks very shallow, and that gravel in the bottom looks pretty dirty too, can you post some photos of the whole setup, and details of your filter system?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts