Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided on a Jungle Carpet as a few of you know.

I am going to buy a hatchling. That way I can get used to it and it biting me.

I plan on using a small aquarium to start, assuming this is not a bad idea.
The little tank is about 14" x 10" x 10". Would this be too big or are Jungles not as bothered about large homes if they have plenty to climb on???

I will also be covering up three sides fo the tank to avoid the snake feeling too exposed. Floor will be covered in bark, chippings etc.

After this I wanted to upgrade to a semi-arboral viv of 48" long by 18" deep by 28" tall, with plenty to climb and hide in.

I may possibly have to use some kind of intermediate viv between the two as I know its a massive jump.

Question is what am I best buying for the first one, in way of heater, light etc, that I could use in the next viv. Main reason is to save cash and also I don't like wasting things. Especially money!!!

Oh, and any other comments about my plans, good or bad, are appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another thing

I know I am prob best with a heat mat for my small tank, but is a ceramic and mat better if I have such a tall adult viv?? And if so what wattage of ceramic would I need??

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I thought you had an empty 3ft viv? If so you would be better off geting one of those faunariums for your young carpet and placing it in the already setup 3ft viv. YThen when it grows you can just put it in the viv without a tub.

·
Registered
10 Posts
carpet pythons

Carpet pythons are brilliant snakes and need enough room to move around as they can be very active.The size of tank you will need to start off with is around the 2 foot x 18x18 small enough to make sure you don't freak the animal out if you want to go bigger you will need to make sure the tank has lots of rocks and greenery to give enough space for the snake to feel secure. These snakes hatch out at about 1 foot in size with a good girth. a 2 foot tank won't last very long but it would get you started.
Also heating should be by heat mat and spot lamp which are cheap enough, heat mat should be half the length of the tank approx, and the spot bulb 60 watts.
Personally speaking i would use a 3x2x2 with a heat mat, uvb strip bulb to give off light and a ceramic element(with mess housing) connected up to a pulse proporsional thermostate. the tank should be well rocked and plenty of plastic plants for security. Substrate : Coco Fibre (doesn't cause impactations)......

Friends have bred carpets before and i helped to build the setup.....
The setup mentioned above is a reduced scale version..
Friends Setup was 8x6x4.5 (big setup)...

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that last reply. Gives me a good idea of what I need to do.

Not sure about the empty 3' viv Maki??? I'm selling an aquarium for the mother but nothing otherwise I only have a small tank as mentioned in my first post. I may have a small 24" x 12" x 24" tank I made for some lizards years ago in the shed but I don't think it will be much good as I made it when I was about 13.

The viv I wanna buy is this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....50041849307&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

has a bit of extra height for climbing.

If anything I think I'll make a smaller one for now.

Can you tell me how quick carpets grow on average if fed correctly, not over fed. e.g. 2 feet after 1 year?? How long until they reach 4 feet??

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
my female carpet got to 4 feet in about 18 - 20 months, she was a jcp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts