Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, I need some:help:

my hubby and I (yea I've been mostly project managing lol) have been building a double viv for our two beardies. thought we had it sussed and where busy fixing ledges in over the weekend, lights etc already fitted. Anyway, I decided to turn the basking lamp and uva on to see what temps it would hit and within an hour we saw a huge problem which made my hubby want to do this to me :bash: lol. basically we lined the walls with lino tiles to seal the viv :yeahright: ya... under the heat they all decided they weren't gonna stick anymore and started dropping off! so much for nearly done!
so what do I need help with?
well I thought rip them all down and get some aquarium backing... but what could I use to stick it back on with? I can't have any gaps under it for water to get in (or crickets) it needs to be able to withstand the temps of 110f and misting and be non toxic.
then my mum blasted me into the past and suggested fablon... wow hadn't seen that stuff for about 14 years! it's a good suggestion though... do you think this would be safe and do you think it would stand the heat without bubbling and looking absolute :cussing: lol

oh I'm fixing tiles to the basking areas too (well slate) I need an idea for this too.... should I use silicone? and is there a certain type?
after that you deserve a pic of the mess so far lol... ok not used to this lol the pic came up and I can't get under it lol anyway you get the gist. hope you can help. thanks guys xxxjojoxxx

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
for the backing i used double sided carpet tape in my beardie viv and i would use aquarium sealent
and the carpet tape doesn't lose it's stick?? yea I was thinking aqaurium sealent but everyone keeps saying something else lol.
I'll bat it around with the hubby.
jojo xx

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so you reckon if I put normal background on and tacked it in, I could seal the edges with aquarium sealent and go over with yaht varnish? and that would stop the critters? yaht varnish is all we have, that was what we were told to use in the first place lol. I think my hubby will go for that.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
for the backing i used double sided carpet tape in my beardie viv and i would use aquarium sealent
I wouldn't put tape anywhere in my viv incase your rep gets stuck to it.

I'd use a silicone sealant. You can get non-toxic from an aquarium shop, but I'd just by the stuff from a DIY or UPVC window installers.

It needs to be low modulous silicone which doesn't contain acetic acid that gives silicone that vinegar smell. And also needt to contain a fungicide to prevent mould.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I'd go with aquarium sealant too it forms a SOLID bond. I made a viv once using contiboard screwed together with metal brackets and used aquarium sealant along the inside of all of the edges to prevent substrate escaping. Came to take it apart a year later and after unscrewing all of the brackets the vivarium was still held together by the sealant - It took a fair amount of force to pull it apart.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I've used fablon in a couple of vivs before (on the back panel) and it's stood up ok with a 100w ceramic about 12" away.

I agree with the above about using silicone - it's the only way to seal the joints properly.

For fixing the slates in place I'd try blu-tack - then you could remove them easily for cleaning. Failing that, silicone would do it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts