·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey

I've recently had my dad build me a set of stackable vivs for my reptile

there's three 4ft by 18" by 18" and one 4ft by 18" by 15"

i've bought the same sized heat mats for all four

i've checked the bottom one and with just the heat-mat and it gets to around 80degrees, with a 100w heat bulb on as well the temp goes off the thermometer which goes up to 105

so i need advice on what wattage heat bulb to get and what temp i should be aiming for, because i've had people tell me their beardies like a temp of 104 but when i've tried mine at that they just go to the other end of the viv and my female tends to sit in her water bowl or dance against the glass

as well as this, does anyone have and experience with heat rising up with stakable vivs? with just the heat-mat on my snakes viv (which is just over half the size at 2 and a half foot by 18" by 18") gets nice and warm and my snakes are on an average of about 30degrees, so should i get a lower wattage heat bulb for the next viv?

the orders going to go my two adult beardies on the bottom, then my two juveniles on top and then my corn snakes and on top of them my python and boa, the snakes will have thermostats

i would like to get thermostats for the beardies but i haven't seen any that go over 32 degrees, can you get any that go higher?

so what heat bulb to get for my bottom viv and the viv that's going on top of that and the desired temp for my beardies, in peoples experience.

·
Registered
630 Posts
You do not need to use a heat mat, it only really needs to be used occasionally whens its cold at night.

As for the thermostat it is a must, Im not sure if you are getting mixed up with F and C degrees. A magic eye stat will easily control the heat bulb in a viv reaching levels of heat that are suitable for beardies. A magic eye one will also lower the temp when the lights go off.

The reason your female is acting strange is because the viv is too hot for her, I would remove the heat mat, get a thermostat and presto your problems should be solved :2thumb:

Also Ideally you should be aiming for a temp in the basking spot of 95F and 80-85F on the cool side this should be dropping to an ambient temp of about 70F at night time so they can slow down and then rejuvinate themselves in the morning.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts