Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,

im looking into building some vivariums for my leos i was just wondering if anyone has built there own before and what wood you used. does it need to be coated in somthing to stop it from rotting or causing splinters? if so what would be best, as i am not sure if it would contain some sort of toxins..or are they ok on a mdf sort of wood?

many thanks
emily:)

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
most people use contiboard, which is generally what the wooden vivs in shops are made out of.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that.. i was looking for somthing like that in the diy shops but couldent see any in b&q etc... do you know where i could get hold of some?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
normaly b&q will do white, but homebase will have all the other colours as well, think they are even doing silver!!!!:crazy:

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
hehe well if u find out let us know what the typical cost is per square metre or whatever it is they measure it in.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will have a lookie at the weekend, while im on the subject, has anyone used wire mesh on the door instead of glass? i was thinking some sort of plastic as finding sliding glass to fit will be a challange:lol2: i thought crickets would sneak out of mesh :sick:

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
you fit the runners then use a big piece of cardboard to figure out what size the glass needs to be.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
If you get two bits of glass cut to fit is easier..most glass cutters will do bits with beveled edges for about 15 quid for the two..they fit in the runners that b&Q sell but are loose so you need to create a 'dibbit' as i call it! bit of wood stops the glass rattling when pushed between the two (you can buy rubber ones)

as for conti board..homebase are more expensive but a B&Q warehouse store do a range of colours (beech,oak,white). cost about £15 for a bit 8 foot by 2 foot...might even be 9x2...they will cut for you if you take your measurements in if the have a timber cutter takes all the hard work out of it!!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I may sound stupid now lol can i get everything i need from b&q? would they cut all the glass for me if needed.. this is my 1st building project:lol2: im looking at building 6 new cages.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ignore that last post.. dident see your post (BELIAL)

thank you:)

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
belial do they do bigger depth than 2ft?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
you can get most bits..runners,wood,vents,backing(bit of whiteboard),screws(dont do a me and run out half way through a build!)
can't get: glass(could be wrong) sealant...

conti board: £15.00
runners: £4.00 (6ft)
vents:£1.95 (small) £3.00(large)
screws: £2.00 (chip board 1.5 inch)
white backing: £2.95

these are rough prices but close enough...

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
belial answer my question next :razz:

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
kk im after 6ft length but wanted to build something along the lines of 4ft depth. i have big plans mwuahaha...

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for that been a real help, good to know i can get it all from b&q. will find glass somwhere i will go on a shopping mission:razz:

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
four foot deep!? what are you planning!?
would get two bits and biscuit them together (bits of wood about 4 inches long like a thin pole comes in lengths of 9 foot.) you drill a hole in one side then hole in the other side same place. fill the hole with wood glue and insert the biscuit on one side. You then bring the other half over and push the half of the biscuit sticking out into the matching hole you drilled..you would need at least one biscuit every 6 inches to get a good tight bond between two bits..

think i may have confused myself a bit there but that is the jist of joining two bits..

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:eek:oo: all getting a bit technical now :lol2:

If i see anything that big tho, i will let ya know..

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
emski you can get iron on stripping for the edges which looks good. when they cut you will have naked edges (basically uncoated contiboard) get some edging strip and iron it on (has glue on it that heats up and sticks) looks much better than bare bits (costs £0.97p) well worth getting..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts