Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I need some advice as there’s so many different opinions, I’m getting a carpet python and need to get the heating side of things set up, which is the best way to go. I have a 5’x2’x2’ viv with two Arcadia T5 8w lights, I did have a habistat 600w dimming stat but that seems to be broken so need a new one and not sure which heater would best with the height lamp,ceramic or radiator. All help gratefully received.

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
Hi all I need some advice as there’s so many different opinions, I’m getting a carpet python and need to get the heating side of things set up, which is the best way to go. I have a 5’x2’x2’ viv with two Arcadia T5 8w lights, I did have a habistat 600w dimming stat but that seems to be broken so need a new one and not sure which heater would best with the height lamp,ceramic or radiator. All help gratefully received.
Contact Russ, he's sourced a decent low profile heat panel suitable for large enclosures see this post

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
Thank you but they won’t work with vivs over 18” high apparently
Well he got them for his retic viv which from memory is 8' x 4' x 3. You can always add a shelf to one side of the viv and place the panel under that if the heater lacks the power to reach more then 18-24"

·
Registered
988 Posts
Reptile rad on at all times set to a warm ambient (around 23c) and then a halogen basking lamp on during the day with a hotspot of 32c

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thank you but they won’t work with vivs over 18” high apparently
These work fine in the higher vivs. They have been tried & tested in 2ft & 3ft high vivs. A 600x300 180w will be more than enough for a 5ft viv.

A DHP projector won't be man enough to get the heat down to substrate level. Whatever heat it did get down there would only be a tiny surface area of heat. DHP are great for basking spots that you can build up a basking spot under neath them. You have to raise & lower your basking spot to get right temperature on your animals. A radiant heat panel will give you a big surface area of heat & are very efficient to run.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will I get the correct basking spot temp and gradient in the cool end with just a panel. I like the panel idea as it will be out of the way of everything but can't seem to find anywhere that stocks them, any ideas? I have found these but haven't got a clue how to wire one of these or what they mean by a thermocouple.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Will I get the correct basking spot temp and gradient in the cool end with just a panel. I like the panel idea as it will be out of the way of everything but can't seem to find anywhere that stocks them, any ideas? I have found these but haven't got a clue how to wire one of these or what they mean by a thermocouple.
I sell them as a complete bolt on kit. They are £135. Comes complete with stainless steel mounting hardware & removable probe mount.

Obviously you get a better temperature gradient the bigger the viv, so my only concern would be you might not get a great temperature gradient as the panel is 600x300mm so you would have to run it length ways with the 5ft of your viv. This would mean 2ft of your viv would be one big heat spot. Ideally you would mount the heat panel so the 300mm would go with the 5ft length. If your viv is 2ft deep, I doubt this would fit on the inside as the dimensions on vivs are usually external. Measure your viv in the inside & see if you can fit 600mm across the depth?

This is how I got them mounted in my vivs.
Rectangle Fixture Wood Automotive design Shade

·
Registered
988 Posts
I sell them as a complete bolt on kit. They are £135. Comes complete with stainless steel mounting hardware & removable probe mount.

Obviously you get a better temperature gradient the bigger the viv, so my only concern would be you might not get a great temperature gradient as the panel is 600x300mm so you would have to run it length ways with the 5ft of your viv. This would mean 2ft of your viv would be one big heat spot. Ideally you would mount the heat panel so the 300mm would go with the 5ft length. If your viv is 2ft deep, I doubt this would fit on the inside as the dimensions on vivs are usually external. Measure your viv in the inside & see if you can fit 600mm across the depth?

This is how I got them mounted in my vivs. View attachment 354163
I like that a lot

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thats a really nice install very clean, I'm very sure you're right with the 2ft being an external measurement, only thing I can think is to run it at a lower temp and raise the height at warm end with a big hide or rock that she can bask on. Which thermostat would be best for the panel?

·
Registered
9,313 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The guards shouldn’t be a problem for me to have fabricated and looking at ceramicx website they do reflectors.

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
The guards shouldn’t be a problem for me to have fabricated and looking at ceramicx website they do reflectors.
Ceramix was the company from where I used to get mine. They are a great company, but bear in mind duty / VAT will be payable on all orders as they are in Southern Ireland

·
Registered
192 Posts
Personally I would use pulse proportional or dimmer. Through trials with mats and normal CHEs I found too greater temperature swing when using on/off stats
Agreed, I use pulse on all my vivs 👍. Saying that, I did however trial run the first 2 of my heat panels on ON/OFF & they didn't miss a beat & kept temps spot on. Only cos it took me a while to figure out to run them on pulse & dimmer.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts