Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i recently aquired 2 cumberland sliders there 3 years old and recently ive noticed them displaying was just wondering if somebody could give me some advice on to how they nest as they currenly have a basking area made of slate. so my questions are:
do they burry there eggs in sand or soil of some sort
how long is it that they carry the eggs?
and how many eggs do they lay at any one time?

any help would be apreciated

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
They need a tub filled with moist sandy soil, at least as deep as the length of the female's carapace, egg laying usually ocurs around a month after successful mating, eggs could be in clutches of anything from one or two up to a couple of dozen, smaller clutches are more likely in captivity though.

If yours are only 3 years they may not be sexually mature yet though, do you know what sex they are?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One is definatly male hes got a longer fatter tail the others got a very short tail so from what ive read on sexing them its long tail male short tail female the claws are diffrent too.

i did think that they wernt sexualy mature but, i read online that the behaviour of the female can change and her's definatly has. shes becoming a little maddam

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
If mating does occur you will need to provide a box of damp soil/sand next to the basking area for her to lay.

On a side note, if she does lay eggs, please consider only incubating those which you plan to keep yourself, as homes are notoriously difficult to come by, and there are far too many sliders in rescue centres.

Best,
Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey well i wasent planning on incubating them i just want to make sure that if she is, she can lay them rather than her not beable to lay and becomeing ill as a result

1 - 5 of 5 Posts