Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A woman I know gave me 8 litle red ear slider eggs today coz she doesn't know how to take care of them. I have only had Corn Snake eggs hatch, and I'm not sure on how turtle egg should look like when fertile. Does anyone have pictures of fertile turtle eggs?

·
Registered
632 Posts
no pics, but basically use the same idea of your corn eggs! but be aware that turtle eggs will need higher humidity and are more likely to get mouldy looking growths on due to the hatching time being quite lengthy, although this mould isn't good it doesn't mean the eggs are dead! look out for discolouration/ sagging and always upkeep the correct temp as i'm sure u know! :wink:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
They all look like there not going anywhere to me. Some have already dimpled and wont hatch. The others, hard to tell. But looking at the colours, I'd be surprised if they did anything.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Simon said:
They all look like there not going anywhere to me. Some have already dimpled and wont hatch. The others, hard to tell. But looking at the colours, I'd be surprised if they did anything.
Well 3 were dimpled from day one, and when I candle them they just look white inside. The other ones have a nice red-orange color and a little air-space in the top, from what I've read, they look ok.
I've only bred snakes, so I'm not completely sure about turtle eggs. I think I will just keep them in the incubator and see what will happen, but I wont expect much :roll:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well watever happens Zed Good Job and *claps his hands* fair play to you mate for taking them, altho ur not as clued up as some im sure ur more than the woman who passed them and i hope they are ok mate. Keep us informed plz :D

·
Registered
632 Posts
yeah i'd take the dimpled ones out and just keep trying with the others, your never likely to have 100% hatch... much less in fact but don't feel bad as u don't know how the woman has treated them to this date... good luck!! :D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone :D and the only other times I've had eggs (were snake btw) was because I had planed it and was prepared for it, she on the other hand didn't know they were a male and a female, didn't even know that one of them was a yellow bellie :lol: she tought that they were both red ear sliders.

I'm not so clever with turtles :roll: But snakes are more my thing, and because they are illegal here in Iceland (reptiles that is) I do alot of going home to people with sick snakes and try to help as much as I can, since there are no vets here that have studied about reptiles, so when she called me I tried to help her too :lol: Her turtle had mineral deposit on the shell. When I came to her one egg had arrived, and when I came for all the eggs 2 days later, they were a total of 8, she just called me to tell me that one more came this morning and she is going to bring it over.

·
Registered
49 Posts
What more can i say mate other than good job you are seriously dedicated to reptiles which i think is awesome. Like i said earlier keep me informed and hope it all works.

PS: is it even possible to mistake a yellow belly with a red eared ? Is she slightly colour blind? Im just wandering...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol I didn't think it was :lol: but like I said they are illegal here so people aren't that informed about these animals :(

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah i guess....BUT u still gotta consider red eared have....RED EARS

Yello Bellies...have a guess....their belly...YELLOW no red at all....

It is kinda like mistaking a cow for a mouse. But meh who cares least your around to help these people *claps*
I wonder how they will turn out...maybe red bellies or yellow ears? :shock:
Im not sure how the genetics work in breeding lol., If anyone does POST UP lemme know :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts