Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I am in the process of building a new viv 6 x 4 x 2.5, and was wondering how many 100W bulbs I would need for daytime heat and where to situate them. I was thinking maybe 2 at the top and 2 or 3 down the side where the shelves will be?

Also, I was wondering if you knew what would be best to use for nighttime heat. I am currently using 360W tube heaters in a 6 x 3 x 3 running along the bottom, but they are proving very expensive to run. I was thinking of a 500W Panel Heater? And maybe having it go vertically down one side of the viv?

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Breezy xx

·
Registered
756 Posts
If this setup is in your house then the night-time temperature drop shouldn't be all that bad. I would recommend you either purchase a temperature data logger and set it up to run overnight in the middle of the room with none of the above additional heating, or to get up at around 4-5am and see what the temperature is.

It doesn't specify what reptile this enclosure is for. Lots of large species of reptile would not suffer adversley with night-time temps of 65F (18C) - which you should be able to supply with the household central heating alone (this being the cheapest heating option). Failing that, I think oil heaters produce and retain heat best of all the portable heaters - so it might be worth looking into setting one of those up.

Dave

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aaaahhhhh I forgot to mention that it was for Water Dragons and that the doors won't be glass, but will be mesh open out doors :smile: I am aware that keeping humidity levels up will be more difficult, but I plan to buy a humidifier and boxing that in somewhere near the top. Or maybe a fogger/mister (haven't decided on that yet). My house runs on solid fuel, so it's not always that warm at night (as I try to heat the water at night rather than the radiators), so thought it would be easier just to get some kind of heater inside the viv to keep my babies warm :smile:

·
Registered
756 Posts
I don't know with a mesh front and no central heating - you will probably have to practice with trial and error - I would still recommend getting a data logger because the outside temp will have a significant impact on the viv temp with a mesh front.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts