Reptile Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im currently setting up a wooden viv for a juvenile Carpet. As they are "semi" arboreal I plan to keep him in a 36"h x 21" x 22" for the first year whilst i build a suitably sized adult enclosure. I have been doing a substantial amount of research with regards to lighting and heat and notice a lot of conflicting information. I was hoping you folks would be kind enough to share your wisdom with me.

am i correct in saying the best way to go about heating the enclosure would be a 100w Ceramic contained within cage, through a
habistat pulse proportional thermostat with day/night control? with a fluorscent bulb on a 12/12 pattern to light the cage?

if so is the cage(protecting the light) adequately situated from the ceramic to stop serious burning to a curious snake?

I have also read a wee bit about reptile rads.. over head heating systems and they have also had quite good feed back? so as im sure many of you once were, i am a little discombobulated and not sure in which direction to go and would appreciate any feed back this might receive.

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
8,687 Posts
when i kept carpets,all were heat via ceramic bulb.
rep rads are good but will struggle with ambient in a high viv.
PS,dont forget they need length of viv as well as hieght

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ok thanks.

With regards to the length i was dubious about this however after seeing the size of the vivs or rubs people were using for juveniles i thought this would have been suitable as its defiantly a little bigger both in height and width than what many people keep them in, i had only intended to keep him in there for 6 months to a year depending on his growth i plan to build a 4x4x3 or there abouts and transfer him in when hes out grown his early home.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts