Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have just purchased a year old boy and a 3 quarters of a year old girl i gave the boy a live mouse he took it in 5 seconds but the girl went for it aswell she sneaked round the back of there hide and come through without me noticing and ever since then he has been put of feeding 2 weeks now he has just shedded yeserday so i wasnt sure if that was the problem but i tryed today with a dead large mouse and he just ignores it any tips?

i was also wondering if my girl snake she is hungry like a pig she had a large mouse at the begining of the week then i tryed to feed one to the boy 2 days after and as i was bringing the mouse out she latched on to it and swallowed it then i tryed 1day after with the boy and left the dead large mouse in there to see if it worked i come up in 5minutes as i had a funny feeling and i see a snake by it it kinda got put of by me coming in but i sat and watched 30 seconds later it bit it and ate it i got my brother as he was also worried and called him then he come up and it was the girl snake hr 3rd one of the week the little fatty any ideas?

can you spray the mite spray on there head or on there eyes as i think i can see 2 mites at the bottom of the boys eye i thought this might be the reason he was not feeding shall i take him to the vet?
thanks on your help

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
firstly you should not be feeding with both of them in the viv. they should be separated for feeding. in fact i would separate anyway as it seems like she could be intimidating the male. as for mites you can get stuff from vet or in rep shops. are you sure about the mites?
please separate them though and give the male a chance to settle. remember if he has mites. she will too. and the whole viv will need cleaned and treated as well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i had her on the oposite side and she was on the light up top (not on)
in my 3ft viv shows how good at camoflauge and hunting they are but from then on i have put them in another tank but all the boy seems to want to do is escape from the other tank:hmm:

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
firstly you need to seperate them, they need seperate enclosures, this will help to make sure you know who is feeding and who isnt, this is also to prevent them breeding at an early age, and to prevent the possibility of cannibalism

can i ask y u offered a live feed, this should only be done as a last resort before force feeding,

also where are you located and how old are you, as we all need to know what level of advice we need to give

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they are in a seperate tank while feeding now and they havent ever been in the seperate tanke together would the mite spray damge there eyes and im 16

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
ok do they live together wen you are not feeding

if the answer is yes, you need to get then into seperate tanks, for the reasons i put in my last answer

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
they are in a seperate tank while feeding now and they havent ever been in the seperate tanke together would the mite spray damge there eyes and im 16
I would not put mite spray anywhere near their eyes. There's too much risk of it going into the heat pits, nostrils and mouth.

Use a cotton bud (Q-tip) and wipe the mites away from his eye. Then separate the snakes into two different enclosures until you're SURE they're eating, shedding and pooping properly and they're both free of mites.

Housing them separately may make your male more confident and it will keep the female from stealing his food.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts