Reptile Forums banner

Help with sexing a corn snake please?

724 views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  ZaraLynziHodson 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm getting a corn snake in a few weeks however the pet shop don't know whether it is a boy or a girl. I don't want to do it myself as I'm not experienced so I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere I could get it sexed in or around Southport, Merseyside Uk.

Thanks

Zara xx

#2 ·
Hiya, is it a pet shop or a reptile shop? And how old is the corn? I got my baby corn from a garden centre and they were absolutely useless with the sexing, so I ended up "popping" him. After alot of research though, I was scared I was going to harm him.. I ask whether pet shop or reptile because reptile shops are usually on the ball with sexing before they sell... Anyway you could always go to another rep shop in the area and see if they can sex it for you.. If its an older corn they will probe it.

#3 ·
Hey,

It's a pet shop, they only usually sell 2 snakes and a tortoise as regards to reptiles, the rest are birds, small rodents, rabbits and guinea pigs. They have said they are unsure of how to sex snakes and of what sex the snake is. I am unsure at the moment of the age of the snake but I think it might be 2-3 months but I'm not sure honestly as I don't know how old it was when they got it or how old they are meant to be when they are sold on to a pet shop.

I have had a look for local reptile shops but there aren't any in this area it seems (the only ones I've found are online) I will be emailing the ones I have found though to see what they say.

Thanks

Zara x

#11 ·
You would be best to put a moss hide in with him at shedding time only. If you spray the viv every day it will lead to a respiratory infection for the snake. There must be something wrong with his set up in the pet shop as he shouldn't need daily baths.

#13 ·
How much are you paying for the snake? Surely it would be easier to find a local breeder who can sell you a sexed snake without all those problems for half the price of a shop? However, if it were me, i'd take it just to care for it better than them, but I wouldn't pay pet shop prices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.