Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been give a small tank 18" x 8" x 8" and is it possible to turn it into a small marine tank.

If so what would I need or is it not worth the trouble.

How many fish can I get in it?

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
you need to be pretty good. things happen quickly in a small tank. as a beginner, bigger is best. they are more forgiving.

·
Massive Member
11,823 Posts
you could run a tank that size with a skimmer and a power head but i wouldn't recommend putting ANY fish in it and would really only bother keeping one that size if you also had a larger tank matured and running as a back up in case of emergencies

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
yeah it can be done. just have a few soft corals and a few crab. easily done. but if you have fish keep them VERY small and few and you'll need a skimmer

·
Registered
929 Posts
a lot of arsing around for little benefit, to light the tank correctly for corals you will probably find you have overheating issues, you wiull be lucky to find a skimmer that is suitable
you want a small marine buy a nano

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The main difficulty in keeping a marine aquarium is the stability of the water and thats why bigger is best, sure it can be done in small aquaria but as already stated "lot of arsing around for little benefit" I see shops are selling tiny marine set ups but be ready for dissapiontments if you are a beginner. I would recommend no smaller than 36" x 12" x 18"

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I have kept marines for 2 years and gave up, the cost just gos up and up, i started with a 5ft x 2ft x 2ft, and went down to a 3ft x 2ft x 2ft, and this was still a money grabber.

You need alot of experience even for a little small tank, i would just give it a miss its not worth the trouble! :bash:

Shaun.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I kept an invert tank and 2 fish only set ups for about 3 yrs the only problems i had was red algae in the inverts which went soon after the tank matured but i also had odinium probably wrong spelling (white spot) that devastated my fish that certainly was expensive and because of that i gave up. This was about 7 years ago and i would imagine now that the prices have soared. If you can afford it, its a fantastic and rewarding hobby for sure but please get your experience in a bigger tank as possible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts