Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone....
Ok i have all my equipment for my little chameleon which i'm getting on thursday...so excited :p

The viv is set up and all decorated with wooden branches and fake plants (real ones will be added shortly) I got 2 temp sensors and a hygrometer
I have a 100w basking lamp connected to a thermostat which is running nicely and i have a zoo-med reptisun 5.0 14w fluorescent tube.

My question is.... where is the best placement for the reptisun uvb tube? I got a basking area set up near the basking bulb, where the top temp reaches between 95-100F, should the uvb tube be next to the basking bulb, or is it ok to have the tube towards the back?....will the light travel throughout the viv evenly or will it only shine directly below. I don't have loads of room on top of the viv as i've got a fairly small viv (as its a baby setup, which i will replace with a bigger viv as the baby cham grows) so am limited with the placement of the basking lamp and uvb tube....at the momnet its setup up so that the basking spot is near the front and the uvb tube is near the back, however its not directly over the basking area...is this ok?

Your feedback is highly appreciated! i despeartely want to make sure the whole set-up is as good as i can get it before my new little arrival comes into its new home on thursday.

Thanks guys!

Rainbow
:)

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
the way i set mine up is that its never more then 8inches from any spot ie a branch or the floor hope that helps
manda xx

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Hi, the uv goes out equally all around the tube, the tube doesnt know what the topb, bottom, left or right is, its just goes out much like a glow stick would.

So behind the bask is fine, it does wana be as close as possible to your chameleon, so if the bask is near the back on the back side would be good.
If you can get the tube no more than 8 inches away its good, closer the better.

Look forward to seeing pics of your chameleon when you get him/her.
Good luck with it.

PS- EDIT PS- Also worth a mention, to direct more of the UV towards where you want it you can buy reflectors to go on the back of the tube [the back being whatever side you have against a wall etc that theres no need for the uv to go to or nowhere for it to go] you can use tin foil and make your own if you wish also.
Dont worry about this too much though as Chameleons dont benefit from a high amount of UV like some other Lizards so a reptisun 5, where there is an 8 inch or less distance between your cham and the tube surface will do nicely.

Dean

G

·
0 Posts
The only concern i would have after you have had very good replies from others is that i noted you said you had the viv set-up.Is this a well ventilated space as these little guys need to have a constant airflow and do not do well in standard vivariums.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts