Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My snake was in my lap in the recliner and I soon realized he was in between the cushion to the mechanical part of the seat. I acted quickly out of fear and began to try pulling him out gently as possible without him slipping from my hands.

I could feel his spine sort of stretched and pop like a chiropractor session except more faint. I safely got him out of the chair with no visual wounds except now he’s wheezing. I don’t know what to think! Did I hurt him?? I feel so much guilt right now and I don’t know what to do at this point, he’s like my child and it makes me feel so horrible.
Please help me!! Should I take him to a vet if he keeps wheezing,?? Could it be because it was a stressful situation?? Because he slithers on his own fine in his enclosure. But my worst fear is that I may have him internally harmed him.

The reason I didn’t let him slither through because there were some sharp bits here and there, and I didn’t want to move the mechanics of the chair in the process of saving him and end up making the situation worse. He didn’t show hostility to me when I took him out, and didn’t seem affected negatively by my worried, smothering affection.. PLEASE I NEED ANSWERS. I’m so scared, I can’t afford vet bills like that for him and I don’t have insurance for him

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you are worried in all honesty the best option is to take it to a decent reptile vet for a checkup. I don't know what bills are like in the states but here a check up is not too expensive.

Thought it is worth saying:

1) If you can't afford vet bills don't buy an animal

2) Leave the snake in its enclosure where it belongs, it's not a dog.

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
I can’t afford vet bills like that for him and I don’t have insurance for him
Then why put him at risk but handling him is such a stupid inconsiderate way... If you want a pet that sits on your lap get a cat... Snakes don't get any comfort from being handled...

If you are not prepared to have insurance or cover vet bills then you should not have got a pet... From what you describe the only qualified person to say if the snake has been injured is a vet and that is where you should be taking it None of us can confirm otherwise based on your description alone !

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Vet check is around £80 depending where you are and go in the uk.
A Vet is needed. You’ve clearly injured him and if you leave him and you’ve done something serious to him and he dies (worst case) then that’s on you and you’re going to feel like a crappy human not getting him seen.
As said if you want a pet to cuddle a snake Is not the right one!
Ring the vets and get him checked over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
I can’t afford vet bills like that for him and I don’t have insurance for him
And before you harp on about not being able to afford vet bills... I'm unemployed and on what you Americans call welfare which barely covers the domestic living bills... but when my boa fell ill earlier this year I still found the money for the £300 total vet bills. Even when circumstances change, if you want to keep the animal you must be prepared to cover the consequences.

Not that it matters as this is probably another one of those single one off posters that the forum seems to be attracting of late

1 - 5 of 5 Posts