Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beardie Fraya is going to be laying eggs soon. She has started to dig alot, last night I put her in her own cage with alot of sand for her to dig in. i covered the cage with a blaket around the sides so she wouldnt be disturbed.

I would like any info you can provide me on the incubation process. I have the vermiculite, but what enclosure have you used, what kind of heat source, and themomiters that work best?

pls help.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
you can either buy one or make one...have a look on ebay...
there are two main methods of making one:

1. using an aquarium and submersible heater
2. styrofoam box and a heat mat.

either way unless you have these readily available you are going to pay about £40.00...you can get one (not one that turns eggs though) on ebay for about the same...

if you want i will post how to make both...then is up to you..

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you I got a styrofoam cooler, and a heating pad. i looked on ebay but didnt see anything in my price range. i also have an aquarium, and heater. which methods have worked best for anyone here that has incubated beardie eggs?

Also how long after starting digging has your dragon lais her eggs? mine has been digging for four days now but today she has been none stop.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
don't own bds but have had success with both other methods...i use brinseas but they are pretty costly....

females can take a while to dig the 'perfect' hole..when she stops digging and just sits around i would start to worry...

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
1. Buy incubator
2. Get vermiculite and make it moist enough to form a ball when squeezed (test by making a ball and throwing it at your neighbor’s cat)
3. Fill base of incubator with moist vermiculite and lightly tamp it down -I use the base of a yogurt tub
4. Put lid on incubator and fiddle around with thermostat until a probe lying on the surface of the vermiculite gives you a reading of 81F-84F (lower is OK, hotter is not). This takes a week and a lot of cussing sometimes! Make sure you have it in a COOL place so it can't overheat on a hot day.
5. Shout - "lay NOW" at your dragon
6. Place eggs in small thumb depressions in the vermiculite and brush the vermiculite around them (eggs with veins on top). The first time you do this, you will space them out all nice and neat and run out of room when clutch #3 is laid. The next year you'll cram them in to save space.
7. Sit back and wait 70 days or so and consult endless lists of baby names for all the potential babies.
8. Oh yes- find a really good source for crickets; you're going to need to buy them by the 1000.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok step 1 check
step 2 check (through at own cat he shouldnt come back)
step 3 check
step 4 half check temp at high nintys working on getting it lowered. humidity at 90 % (not sure if thats good or bad) (dont have to worry about hot days here I'm in Canada, although it is odd temps here it wont get hot.)
step 5 ( havent tryed yelling at her I'll do that next.
steps 6 through 8 cant do them yet damn dragon.

thanks I think I'm just freakin out first time and all. ( damn it was easier to have my own children)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm a little worried the temps I'm getting in the vermiculite is 92 or 94 on the heating pads lowest settings.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A mat stat? not sure what that is or if I have one. I have a heating pad that has 3 settings on it.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
you need to get a thermostat to control the mat so that the temp of the vermiculite stays at a critical level...that is what a mat stat does..when the probe reads that the incubator os too hot it will turn off the mat hence letting it cool...they are pretty much a requirement when making any type of incubator...look up habistat mat stat.....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok thanks I will do that. I took the lid off the container that the eggs will be in. and the temp is about 84. is it ok to have the lid off the container inside the cooler? with the cooler lid still on.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok i have looked up mat stats can only find them in the uk. I could get my aunt to ship me one but it might take awhile. maybe i can find one here.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
sometimes it is better to have the lid off as water droplets form on the lid and they can fall onto the eggs (this is not a good thing!) only disadvantage is you have to regularly check the vermiculite to make sure it is not drying out...if you pinch a bit between your fingers it should feel jut wet but not dripping...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya i know i dont want water on teh lid and it forms lot in just a few hours so im glad to hear i can keep the lid off. I will be sure to keep a close eye on the vermiculite and its dampness. im going to look for a mat stat to keep track of the heat in the container.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
to anyone that has had their beardie lay eggs how long doest it take? she has been digging for five days now and im a little worried. how long can it take and is there away to make her more comfortable, i have taken out the male when im sleeping or at work but shes not very keen no that.

any experince would be appreciatred

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Double_Jai said:
Ok i have looked up mat stats can only find them in the uk. I could get my aunt to ship me one but it might take awhile. maybe i can find one here.
You can definitely get them in the US - I know some Canadians on another forum - I'll put up a request for a link there - I had a quick look myself but I can't find any stats in Canada - seems weird, I can't believe it!!! But yea, stats are really important or your temps will be all over the place.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts