Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just been reading the forums and i bought my horsfield from a shop and bought a tank heat mat uv light and heat light (called a tortoise starter pack) was that the wrong thing to do. if so why is this? and what do i do now?

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
I would ask for an immediate refund on this equipment as it is not only uneccessary but likely to kill your tortoise within a few very short years. See here Tortoise Trust Web - Indoor Housing & Vivarium Design The tank, if it is less than three feet long will not allow a temperature gradient. He needs a hot end and cool end. In such a small space he will cook, either wuickly or slowly - either way the result will be the same :( Get him out of here ASAP.Check the temps at either end and you will see what I mean. The hot end should be no warmer than 30 degrees directly under the lamp and the cool end should be able to go down below 20 degrees. The mat will dehydrate him and assist in the cooking process - take this away immediately. What uvb% is the light and what have they advised you to feed. Go to Tortoises and if the people you bought your tortopise from say differently I would get back to them immediately for a refund. Please tell me they did not send this animals through the post. If so please go to the Tortoise Protection Group and report them. Only mention the actual seller by private mail with them though. Of course you can mention the dealer here so everyone knows who to avoid ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my viv

i have just checked my viv im not sure which viv you think i have so i will describe it and if its still wrong let me no and ill change it. it is 36ins which i think is 3 feet (12ins to a foot?) and is exactly like a fish tank only at either end there is an air vent and on top there is a wire mesh to let air circulate. the hot end is exactly 30degrees and has black sand to attract heat. and the cold end is exactly 20degrees (the termometre is about two ins from the bottom at either end). and i have used this soil stuff which comes dry and expands when you add water. i have dried that out and used that. the UV bulb is a 25 i think (thats whats on top of the packet) and i have put the food and water in the cold end and the hide long thing in the middle and the "sun bathe" bit with black sand is under the heat lamp and the heat mat is under the tank on the outside. i am feeding her letticue carrot and sprouts ane day and strawberries oranges and grapes another.
Please help as i really dont want to kill my new pet. if this is still wrong please could someone email me a photo or something to show me what my tortoise lola should be in. if you need my address let me know. oh and no they didnt send it through the post i chose her from a pet and aqatic centre in wiltshire they had all sorts snakes gechos snales tortoises etc thought they kow what they were doing told be many they are the best place to go in the south for pet stuff as they are really knowledgeable. AHHHHH please help!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Please take her out of tank it is no good for her health:( There are lots of options for tort table. An empty under bed storage box with the lid taken off or an empty wooden draw will be better. You should only feed weeds no fruit or veg. Also if you got him at a pet shop it may be a good idea to have it checked by a vet for worms and so on as she's likly to be imported. a good site is www.shelledwarriors.co.uk they have a good housing section and feeding section. Im sure sue will be along with more advice later she knows more.

G

·
you can also get cheap torts table on ebay....if not like leggy said they are pretty cheap to make...and easy to make a temporary one.
good luck

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
i personally do not think they are that cheap on ebay, plus you will find most of them have low sides, best bet is to make your own, costing around £20. you can easily buy shelves from b&q, or you can use some old draws. heres a pic of one of my sons drawers i pinched:lol2: , i chucked the draws and turned the base onto its back, this is now being used for one of my poorly torts which is doing a great job until recovery(fingers crossed) : victory:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank for all the posts and pictures, i appreciate it! am going to make one tonight off to b+Q now over lunch i just want her to be a happy tortoise.

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
**which i think is 3 feet (12ins to a foot?) and is exactly like a fish tank only at either end there is an air vent and on top there is a wire mesh to let air circulate. the hot end is exactly 30degrees and has black sand to attract heat. and the cold end is exactly 20degrees**

You must have the only three foot tank able to sustain these temps, as others have said git the tort out of here quickly and meanwhile keep well hydrated. Throw away the black sand, heat mat and soil, all are lethal to tortoises.

**the UV bulb is a 25 i think (thats whats on top of the packet) **

It sounds as though it is not uvb - ask the pet shop for a full spectrum uvb lamp uva will not do anything for the tortoise and is no more use than not having one at all.

**the heat mat is under the tank on the outside. **
Take this away immediately it will cook your tort and casue dehydration which in turn leads to bladder stones which cannot be removed from a small tortoise.

**i am feeding her letticue carrot and sprouts ane day and strawberries oranges and grapes another.**

All of these are really bad for her/him. As already mentioned feed weeds and definitely no fruit

**could someone email me a photo or something to show me what my tortoise lola should be in. **

Go to Tortsmad : Tortsmad and look in the files section for tortoise table examples, also in the photos section you will see lots of examples of other peoples enclsoures.

**if you need my address let me know. oh and no they didnt send it through the post i chose her from a pet and aqatic centre in wiltshire they had all sorts snakes gechos snales tortoises etc thought they kow what they were doing told be many they are the best place to go in the south for pet stuff as they are really knowledgeable. AHHHHH please help!**

You have been given excellent advice - would you name the shop please so that we can try to educate them inthe error of their ways and possibly send pics of torts damaged by the sort of care they are advising. Hopefully we will be saving the lives of other tortoises and eventually stopping them frombiuying cheap imports. What is the country of origin on your tortoises cert?

Thanks ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pet shop no no

it was porton down pet and aqatic centre in sailsbury in wiltshire. this tortoise has no certificate as it is a horsefield and i have done the research and everywhere is saying they dont neeed one. thanks everyone for your fab advice hopefully she is now a happier tortoise, and not only that anyone going to buy a tortoise now on i will ask them to stay well clear of shops!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts