Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi my tortise tiger has never been in hibernation but he has really slowed down in the past few weeks not coming out only eating small amounts ! not sure if its hibernation or not but i have not done any prep for him he has done all this himself !
so is he going into hibernation ??
thanks ali x x

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
its to late now to think about hibernating him, the only thing you can do is make sure he has enough heat/light etc try to imitate mid summer conditions both day and night and keep him awake. If that means more baths and physically waking him then thats what you have to do, if you think there might be a medical problem then take him to a vet but it sounds like he trying to go to sleep. Increase his lights up to 14 hours a day and make sure the temps are warm enough both under the lamp and everywhere else and if we get any sun then putting him in the window might help.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have his lights on alot at the moment and i wake him lots and persuade him to eat by hand feeding which he eats ! also giving him plenty of baths !
i know its not medical i just not sure when he should be in hibernation he looks too small
do they need to be a certain size and weight then ?
he was active a few weeks ago so i didnt think he would go !
but he seems fine in himself
bright as a button in the bath ! x

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
And if you can't get more natural light in the table, add a few energy saving bulbs. Since they don't give out heat, you can use them anywhere for extra light without messing with temps. I have a few shops locally that sell these holders, which would be fine for this purpose, and are only a few pound.

You can also get them on ebay if you've no shops that have them.

If your tort is about 4 years old, then he can safely hibernate, providing he is healthy. They hibernate straight away in the wild :)

Do you feed straight after a morning bath?

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
they hibernate from hatching in the wild so you can certainly aim to do so next year its just to late this time, you need 4 weeks alone just to wind him down and then another 8 weeks for the minimum hibernation itself, keep on as you are its all you can do.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi

yes i try to feed him as much as he will let me he is healthy his shell is fine he just wants to sleep ! ok so i will hibernate him next year what month are we talking and where is the best place to put him i only have 1 fridge in the house ! x

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
its a long way off to be thinking about next year but you could be trying to see what places you might have that are cold enough. You'll need it to be around 5c it can vary a few degree's either way but to warm and he'll wake and to cold and he could freeze, the only place that is steady would be a brick shed/outhouse but if you don't have that then a fridge is the only other option. A wooden shed is affected to much by the outside temps a garage is a poss but again most modern ones are to warm but you could try with a thermometer in various places to see what your optiuons are. Most of us aim to have the torts asleep during the coldest months ie jan/feb so you could do your wind down in december and aim to hibernate those months but its up to you which months you choose and if all is going well during hibernation there's no need to stick to 8 weeks and leave him longer, but always have somewhere ready if you do have to wake him up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts